• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hot spot/tethering

What I was trying to say is it looks like Gingerbread USB tethering is enabled on the EVO 3D but apparently it's not as simple to set up as on the Nexus S. It seems to require HTC Sync be installed on the PC. But I don't know where to get a version of it that works for the EVO 3D. I'm hoping someone out there knows more about this. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? If so, where can we get it?

Thanks!

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361684-solution-usb-drivers.html#post2870779

In the past, root and the root app, Wireless Tether, and even sometimes a custom kernel was required to get free tether access. (The distributed Evo kernel broke tethering after an early update - best luck with this.) Perhaps it will work for USB tethering. :)

PS to falcony & RAdroider - please take the sales argument to PM, thanks. ;)

Reactions: anachronism
Upvote 0
I found the following post that has a link to the HTC Sync download: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361684-solution-usb-drivers.html#post2870779

It installs the program, supporting software, and USB driver. I can now select USB tethering in the notifications drop-down. But I didn't get an Internet connection. A window pops up on the device that says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Not subscribed to Hostpot (sic)/USB tethering service

Your account does not include Mobile Hotspot/USB tethering service. Please contact Sprint to enroll in a plan for this service.

You can still use the Hotspot app to create a local network.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: EarlyMon beat me to the link. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I think Easy Tether is easier for the average to set up, although PDAnet does work good also, simple preference, barnacle is also good

I was under the impression that you need root to use pdanet. I know it would not work on my hero till a rooted. If root is not needed that's even better (since I have the 3vo). I don't mind using the phone as internet for a short period of time, but I do like being able to connect it to the laptop on occasion when I am out of town and need to do a little more typing.

Upvote 0
I beleive it is free on the Nexus because that is the one phone that is fully 100% Google Stock.

There fore there is not software from sprint etc stopping it from working.

Just my 2 cents.

Brandon

N1 and any other completely vanilla Android phone should tether for free. This feature has to be disabled by the carrier.

to my knowledge, you dont even need wifi tether on the ns4g. its part of gingerbread. The way I understand it is it is a part of gingerbread...then sprint goes in and puts all their rubbish in (nascar, nfl, gps, etc) and has the ability to block the hotspot feature. Since the ns4g has no sprint software, the hotspot feature has not been turned off on it by them.

Could be wrong, this is just the way i understand it

Correct, you do not need a separate app to tether, even though when I was running Vanilla Android, I did still use Wireless Tether, I just really like that app.

I have PDAnet on my 3vo and had it on my E4G and neither were rooted. I tested the pdanet on my 3vo tonight and it worked great.

Correct you do not need root access to use PDAnet or EasyTether.

Upvote 0
I have PDAnet on my 3vo and had it on my E4G and neither were rooted. I tested the pdanet on my 3vo tonight and it worked great.

PDA Net works great, I used it on my Hero before I rooted it. I installed it this morning and had one minor issue, my computer didn't have the ADB Interface Driver (for some reason it was gone from my PC). On the 3D, under connection type, I chose HTC Sync. The PC (XP) then loaded the proper drivers. Then I put it back to Charge Only.

No problems now.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain how to get pda.net working?

1. Download PdaNet to your phone
2. Go to PdaNet's website and download their application to the computer you wish to tether to. (select the correct OS you have for your computer)
3. After downloading the app to your computer, install it. Once installed, you'll have a little phone icon in your task manager.

4. I usually launch the PdaNet app on my phone first, select the USB tether option.
5. On the computer you installed the PdaNet app to, right click on the phone icon in your task manager and select 'Connect'.

/

Note: with the free version, you will not be able to go to any httpS sites, only http. With a one time fee of $16 or $24 (I got mine for $16), you will unlock the full version of PdaNet which will allow you to now navigate to httpS sites.

Upvote 0
1. Download PdaNet to your phone
2. Go to PdaNet's website and download their application to the computer you wish to tether to. (select the correct OS you have for your computer)
3. After downloading the app to your computer, install it. Once installed, you'll have a little phone icon in your task manager.
4. I usually launch the PdaNet app on my phone first, select the USB tether option.
5. On the computer you installed the PdaNet app to, right click on the phone icon in your task manager and select 'Connect'.

Good instructions. I would just add: When you plug your phone into the computer and the phone prompts you to choose a connection type, do NOT select 'USB Tether' -- that's Sprint's paid option you're looking at. Instead, select 'Charge Only'. Then open PDAnet on your phone, and enable USB tethering from within the app instead.

Then connect via PDAnet on your PC, as in yolky's step 5 above.

Upvote 0
Good instructions. I would just add that when you plug your phone into the computer and the phone prompts you to choose a connection type, you need to select 'Charge Only', NOT 'USB Tether'. Then open PDAnet on your phone, and select USB tethering from within the app. Then connect via PDAnet on your PC, as in step 5 above.

Ah, yes... I agree, select 'Charge Only' on your phone when plugging into your computer in order to tether via Pdanet.

Reactions: RAdroider
Upvote 0
OK, it eventually said i wasnt able to. However when I had the Nexus S, I was. It's kind of shady that with one its free and the other it isnt, especially since at the store they are advertised identically saying that phone has hotspot (with nothing about an additional cost)

Samsung and Sprint are aware of the issue with the Nexus S and its a known bug but in the MR it will be fixed.

Upvote 0
Upgraded phone from EVO 4G to the EVO 3D and now App EasyTether does not work any more for me any one else having this problem. Android Ver 2.3.3 build 1.13.651.7

OK Got it working had to uninstall the easytether driver rebooted and then install the easytether driver again and then plug the EVO 3D back into the laptop. Guess they need to tell that on the easytether web site,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones