• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hot Spot working but w/out internet access?

susandennis

Jun 1, 2010
My hotspot is all set up. I turn it on and I can see it from my laptop. I connect the laptop and EVO says there is 1 connection.

But, the laptop connection gets no internet access.

I've tried it with and without security set up. I've rebooted. I even took the battery out and let it rest. (All of that cleared out the Error 67 on the phone but still the laptop sees no internet.) Internet on the phone is great - even got 4G, but...

What in the heck am I doing wrong? How can I get internet access for the laptop?

On your laptop bring up a dos prompt by:

Click on your start button.
Click on the "Run" application
Type in: cmd then hit enter

Once the box pops up type in: ipconfig

The ip address is going to be something like 192.168.1.10

If the IP address is not 192.168.1.x then it's not getting an IP address from the phone.

If the IP address is correct then make sure you checked the "Internet Sharing" box under the "Wireless & networks" section.

Reactions: susandennis
Upvote 0
Well, this is weird. First, let me say that this is being typed on my laptop now SUCCESSFULLY connected via EVO's hot spot!!!

I did not do anything but confirm the ip address was what I thought it was. I mean all I did was look and the next thing I knew it was connected!

But, that Internet Sharing option? (Which I never saw since it was at the bottom of the list so thank you.) It's grayed out. No checked and I can't figure out how to check. What controls it?

Upvote 0
But, that Internet Sharing option? (Which I never saw since it was at the bottom of the list so thank you.) It's grayed out. No checked and I can't figure out how to check. What controls it?

Glad you got it working.

I just figured out what that "Internet sharing" button is for. USB tethering. Only clickable if you have a USB connection established between the phone and computer. :)

Upvote 0
hello im having the same problem, but when i use the run command and type in cmd, my ip address doesn't come up at all. plz hlp

Hi There, i just had the same problem, and working trough the www for an answer.. with no luck, so i startet myselves, but from the PC end not the Phone end.... and here we go :)

you connect, and will get litimet conectivity and no internet access.... go to networksettings, and set up your network so the Droid Hotspot is a "Home Network connetion" then it all work just fine.......

have fun with your new phone.... i love it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones