Hot Spot

Last Updated:

1. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought the hot spot was free until july 1st if you were in a 4g area? That is what I have been told by eveyone and their dog. I was able to get my phone to connect to my computer, but it would not display a page. So I take everything down to my local sprint store and my guy there confirms again that the hot spot is free til the 1st and he gets it to work in the store. So I think everything is good. Today I go and try it and again it will not load a page. So I call sprint to get some help and all the techs I talk to tell me yes it is free (this is after they do some research) but have to keep sending me to another tech. The last tech I talk to informs me that eveyone that I had just spent the last 30 minutes talking to were wrong and so were all the people at my sprint store. I just gave it. Just means that I will NOT be spending 30 later on on this hot spot. I will just go without internet at home and use my phone for everything.

Advertisement
  2. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Why not just root your evo and get wireless tethering via 3g/4g for free?

gowcaizer1978 likes this.
  3. highwayman1224

highwayman1224 Well-Known Member

Why not root with unrevoked & use wifi teather? I did & it works great. I'm so happy with it, I cancelled my aircard too.

gowcaizer1978 likes this.
  4. vicshalls

I really want to do that, but the more I read the more I am affraid that I will brick my phone. I started getting really confused with everything I read. lol I think it was information overload. lol

5. nitty917

nitty917 Well-Known Member

it is pretty easy to to the one click unrevoke away, i dont think anyones bricked their phone this route, when they flash roms and root Toast way, then thats where you have chances of bricking it

6. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

From what i get its not a full root, it only allows you to get the wireless tethering free. And it works great.

7. lite blue

lite blue Well-Known Member

got my evo this am. followed idiots guide to rooting and added wifi, my first day with android very simple

8. tolu

tolu Member

Let me help you this is for free Wi-Fi 3g/4g tethering dont worry each time you turn the phone off the root is basically removed or just put basically never been there

1. Go to unrevoked click on the evo part a file will be downloaded to downloads click on it and install it.

2. Go to wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre2 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code click on the 205 pre 2.apk and install it .

3. Go to your app page click on the app press the wifi icon to start it up press menu and click on settings to change anything like wep or ssid name.

4. When you turn off your phone the temporary root disappears so when you start up the phone and you need free Wi-Fi tethering go into your browser press menu and click on downloads and install the unrevoked then install the Wi-Fi apk and thats it.

If you are afraid of rooting although i don't see why.

9. vicshalls

Thank you i think i will try this when i get home tonight. One last thing tho.can you have multiple users connected this way?

10. vicshalls

tolu: thank you so much. I followed your instructions and right now I am writting to you on my laptop that is being tethered from my evo. Again thank you. you have been a great help!!!

11. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

I just tried this and can't get the ROOT part to work. It says my phone isn't rooted when it said it installed, and I clicked start and it said done?

12. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

If you performed the latest software update, you can't do it until they figure out a new way to get root.

13. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

So ummm the only way to turn it off is to reboot my phone?