• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hot spot

Jimbo670

Nov 27, 2009
Other that the "hot spot" or root is there a way to teather the Galaxy Tab to the EVO.

My thought is that if I get the "hot spot" I will cancel my home internet and run everything off the EVO. I am lucky enough to get the 4G in my area. Any thoughts or input?

Thanks

nope.. you got.. it... it should work fine.

1. pay for sprint's "hotspot"
2. root and use wifi tether
3. root and use hacked version of sprint's "hotspot"
4. I think there are apps on the market that let you tether via USB. Just not sure if it will work on a Tablet. I know it works for PC
5. root and use android's built-in tether via USB.. again not sure if it works for a Tablet.

on 3G.. you can only do Data OR voice services.. one or the other.
on 4G.. you can do both at the same time.

Upvote 0
Simple easy way.....use Z4root (gives you temp root until you reboot) and wireless tether. Google both and download....they are both small apk files. With both installed you should have no problem using wireless tether....just a reminder you will not use the stock wireless tether utility....you will use a secondary app wireless tether 2.0.5 (wireless tether app not found in the market). Hope this helped.....Enjoy!

Upvote 0
vt6spd ..have u even rooted yet???

here is the app you need.. once you have rooted.
Wireless Tether for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain

bit if you have root... then you might want to get a custom ROM and spice up your OS... which most come with a solution for you.

I have rooted the phone, for sure. I downloaded that application as mentioned, and I turned on the wifi, but my phone didn't show it as "on". You know at the top next to the 3G logo? So, it was running in the background? does this mean it was working properly, behind the scenes?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
you are rooted...
you are using wifi-tether..

you can surf on tethered device .. no connection charge should be seen.
but you might have data charges.. of course! unless you have unlimited data. there is no way around the Data usage charge (depending on your service contract)

Upvote 0
you are rooted...
you are using wifi-tether..

you can surf on tethered device .. no connection charge should be seen.
but you might have data charges.. of course! unless you have unlimited data. there is no way around the Data usage charge (depending on your service contract)

Oh. Well that makes sense now. Now, if I can only fix my phone so it works again, that would be awesome. I was using the Titanium backup last night and deleted the ATT aps that come on my phone. Now I get a strange error, lots of force closing and I cant download any aps from the market place. Any thoughts on how to fix, that would be wonderful... PM me!

Upvote 0
use titanium backup to.. put everything back...

dont delete things.. if you dont know what it full does. somethings are tied to many other things.....

Titanium.. has a freeze program feature. freeze what you want to delete... for a few days. if it dont have any bad after effects... then it is ok to remove.

Upvote 0
use titanium backup to.. put everything back...

dont delete things.. if you dont know what it full does. somethings are tied to many other things.....

Titanium.. has a freeze program feature. freeze what you want to delete... for a few days. if it dont have any bad after effects... then it is ok to remove.

I saved my backup on the laptop, but not sure how to get it all back. I even have a titanium back up folder with all my old stuff in it on my phone, but the phone doesn't recognize that its there... I have no idea how to reflash my phone or get my phone to use the folder/files that are on it. This phone stuff is more confusing than computers. I can mess up a computer easy and fix it fine...phones suck.

Upvote 0
hahaha... i dont use titanium...so cant tell you how.

suggestion.. this might be a good time for you to look at one of the ROMs.
flash a rom.

I thought about doing the FROYO upgrade (leaked version) but If I can't even figure out how to get files properly loaded back onto my phone, I think I would ened up bricking my phone trying to install a new OS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones