• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hotmail exchange and Evo 4g

I got it working.
Server is:
m.hotmail.com
domain: leave it blank
your user mail and password.

You got this working on your EVO? How? I'm getting failed to connect. How do you have it setup exactly?

Email address:
address@hotmail.com

Server address:
m.hotmail.com

Domain:
blank

Username:
address@hotmail.com

Password:
This server requires an encrypted SSL connection. (Is this checked or not?)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
My Hotmail doesn't work trough the mail program, so I just bookmarked my Hotmail account from the browser. I have full access to all my contacts calendars, folders, and can delete several emails at once. It's all synced to my laptop and deck top computers. Easy thing to do until they straight out the mail account exchange thing.

Upvote 0
Same here. How can we petition Sprint to fix this?

It only works through a third party client on the EVO or any HTC device. Hotmail exchange doesn't work on the native mail app, I have confirmed and using it with Moxier Mail on my EVO.

liveside.net for more info.

Looks like itll be working on HTC devices in a few months or so.

Upvote 0
I got this working on my EVO, and I am using a custom domain email that uses Hotmail, so should work for everyone. However, I had many failed attempts with the HTC app, I decided to install the stock android email app and it worked. I have attached it, I just extracted it from the CM6 rom which does not use sense. Works great, all i did was put it on my sd card and installed with astro, did not have to push with adb to the sys folder or anything. And it is running side by side with the htc app, which i still use for my yahoo accounts. Not sure if you have to be rooted, but make sure you checked unknown sources in the applications settings.
Here are the settings:
On Froyo 2.2:

Username: username@hotmail.com (or @live.com)

Password: **********

Domain\Username: \username@hotmail.com (or @live.com) make sure you include the "\"

Server: m.hotmail.com

Make sure you check both "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Accept all SSL certificates"

I think the problem with the HTC app is that it does not have an option to accept SSL certificates, so it is either doing this auto or does not support it, i am guessing it does not support it and that is why the final setup is failing.

Attachments

• Email.apk
    737.1 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
Make sure you check both "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Accept all SSL certificates"

I think the problem with the HTC app is that it does not have an option to accept SSL certificates, so it is either doing this auto or does not support it, i am guessing it does not support it and that is why the final setup is failing.

Thanks for the post.

The HTC app does accept SSL certificates. However, for some odd reason when setting up the hotmail account it doesn't prompt you to accept it. I have set up other exchange accounts and they prompt you to accept certs.

Upvote 0
I got this working on my EVO, and I am using a custom domain email that uses Hotmail, so should work for everyone. However, I had many failed attempts with the HTC app, I decided to install the stock android email app and it worked. I have attached it, I just extracted it from the CM6 rom which does not use sense. Works great, all i did was put it on my sd card and installed with astro, did not have to push with adb to the sys folder or anything. And it is running side by side with the htc app, which i still use for my yahoo accounts. Not sure if you have to be rooted, but make sure you checked unknown sources in the applications settings.
Here are the settings:
On Froyo 2.2:

Domain\Username: \username@hotmail.com (or @live.com) make sure you include the "\"

Using the stock android email app, does it allow for HTML emails in your hotmail account?

Upvote 0
Here are the settings:
On Froyo 2.2:

Nice workaround! Just tried it and this works exactly as you instructed. It doesn't support HTML email, but maybe thats because hotmail exchange doesnt support HTML email on android yet. However I can confirm that this is working with that .apk on my EVO side by side with the native HTC email app.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Here are the settings:
On Froyo 2.2:

This works really well! Some other people have been saying that they can only sync the past month, but this way it synced all of my mail

Upvote 0
The main thing I miss from the HTC app is the ability to download attachments automatically, I use this email for my business and get a lot of attachments. But having the phone and web portal actually synchronized trumps that feature. It really sucked when I would check on my phone and look through 25 emails and then have to click them all as read on the internet as well and vise versa. Also a few times the HTC mail app decided to re-download all the emails for the hotmail account and I had to go through and click 200 plus messages from two weeks to mark them as read so the unread counter was accurate, have been using it with only 3 days mail to reduce this hassle the last couple of weeks. Only been using active sync for a day and already love it, had on my diamond with the windows live app so glad to have it back. Don't get a lot of html, only advertisements really, so that is not an issue for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones