Hotmail exchange and Evo 4gSupport

Last Updated:

1. Customized

Customized Member This Topic's Starter

Been reading hotmail is now available to be setup as an exchange account. I've been readying have successfully been able to setup their droid phones this way but heard EVO users were having difficulties. I was not able to sync with the hotmail exchange account and wanted to see if any other Evo users have been successful.

Hotmail Client - Page 2 - Android Forums

Advertisement
  2. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

can't get it to work, i have a custom domain so not sure if that matters.

3. Customized

yea, I hope they get this fixed... my hotmail is only setup one way right now, to receive. when I delete e-mails on my phone it doesnt delete them off the server.

4. Jonhern

has anyone been able to get hotmail to work with exchange?

5. JerseyDROID

JerseyDROID Member

Lemme give this a big ol BUMP. Not working for my evo either

6. Customized

7. Customized

updated my phone to 2.2 and this crap still doesn't work. Very frustrating when iphone users are able to use exchange activesync for their hotmail accounts but we are not.

8. ricomilion

ricomilion New Member

I got it working.
    Server is:
    m.hotmail.com
    domain: leave it blank
    your user mail and password.

TwinnieMama, ceabbott2 and clwoodwork like this.
  9. nuprotocol

nuprotocol Well-Known Member

You got this working on your EVO? How? I'm getting failed to connect. How do you have it setup exactly?

Email address:
    address@hotmail.com

Server address:
    m.hotmail.com

Domain:
    blank

Username:
    address@hotmail.com

Password:
    This server requires an encrypted SSL connection. (Is this checked or not?)

Thanks!

10. dels28

dels28 Well-Known Member

I keep getting failed to create account, please try again later.

11. nuprotocol

Sorry, yes thats the error msg I'm getting as well. I know from liveside.net that its not official yet and they said the exchange support would be a separate wave for exchange support, but if some are getting it to work now. I want to jump aboard too! lol

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Try the server as m.hotmail.com, or m.outlook.com. My university uses hotmail for its email, and I have been using it as an exchange account for 2 years now using m.outlook.com as the server.

13. ahaxton

ahaxton Active Member

It is my understanding from the writeup on the new Hotmail from http://www.winsupersite.com that they are still ramping up Exchange for Hotmail and it's not going to be officially rolled out for everyone until the end of August. Until then it's a crap shoot on whether you'll get it or not.

14. devoevo

devoevo New Member

My Hotmail doesn't work trough the mail program, so I just bookmarked my Hotmail account from the browser. I have full access to all my contacts calendars, folders, and can delete several emails at once. It's all synced to my laptop and deck top computers. Easy thing to do until they straight out the mail account exchange thing.

15. nuprotocol

Thanks for the updates! I'll continue to wait. This is annoying. lol

16. chocmatic

chocmatic Well-Known Member

Has to be checked and it looks like it's working now. However, my attempts were unsuccessful.

17. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

Same here. How can we petition Sprint to fix this?

18. nuprotocol

It only works through a third party client on the EVO or any HTC device. Hotmail exchange doesn't work on the native mail app, I have confirmed and using it with Moxier Mail on my EVO.

liveside.net for more info.

Looks like itll be working on HTC devices in a few months or so.

19. nuprotocol

Until then, you can use third party exchange apps for the EVO to get it working. Moxier Mail is pretty koo, I prefer the native mail app, but atleast I have push email, contacts, calendar, and tasks with hotmail for free.

20. Jonhern

I got this working on my EVO, and I am using a custom domain email that uses Hotmail, so should work for everyone. However, I had many failed attempts with the HTC app, I decided to install the stock android email app and it worked. I have attached it, I just extracted it from the CM6 rom which does not use sense. Works great, all i did was put it on my sd card and installed with astro, did not have to push with adb to the sys folder or anything. And it is running side by side with the htc app, which i still use for my yahoo accounts. Not sure if you have to be rooted, but make sure you checked unknown sources in the applications settings.
    Here are the settings:
    On Froyo 2.2:

Username: username@hotmail.com (or @live.com)

Password: **********

Domain\Username: \username@hotmail.com (or @live.com) make sure you include the "\"

Server: m.hotmail.com

Make sure you check both "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Accept all SSL certificates"

I think the problem with the HTC app is that it does not have an option to accept SSL certificates, so it is either doing this auto or does not support it, i am guessing it does not support it and that is why the final setup is failing.

Attached Files:

kofkorn, steve053 and nuprotocol like this.
  21. chocmatic

chocmatic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post.

The HTC app does accept SSL certificates. However, for some odd reason when setting up the hotmail account it doesn't prompt you to accept it. I have set up other exchange accounts and they prompt you to accept certs.

22. nuprotocol

Using the stock android email app, does it allow for HTML emails in your hotmail account?

23. nuprotocol

Nice workaround! Just tried it and this works exactly as you instructed. It doesn't support HTML email, but maybe thats because hotmail exchange doesnt support HTML email on android yet. However I can confirm that this is working with that .apk on my EVO side by side with the native HTC email app.

Thanks!

24. tylerzoll

tylerzoll New Member

This works really well! Some other people have been saying that they can only sync the past month, but this way it synced all of my mail

25. Jonhern

The main thing I miss from the HTC app is the ability to download attachments automatically, I use this email for my business and get a lot of attachments. But having the phone and web portal actually synchronized trumps that feature. It really sucked when I would check on my phone and look through 25 emails and then have to click them all as read on the internet as well and vise versa. Also a few times the HTC mail app decided to re-download all the emails for the hotmail account and I had to go through and click 200 plus messages from two weeks to mark them as read so the unread counter was accurate, have been using it with only 3 days mail to reduce this hassle the last couple of weeks. Only been using active sync for a day and already love it, had on my diamond with the windows live app so glad to have it back. Don't get a lot of html, only advertisements really, so that is not an issue for me.