• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hotmail exchange and Evo 4g

I got this working on my EVO, and I am using a custom domain email that uses Hotmail, so should work for everyone. However, I had many failed attempts with the HTC app, I decided to install the stock android email app and it worked. I have attached it, I just extracted it from the CM6 rom which does not use sense. Works great, all i did was put it on my sd card and installed with astro, did not have to push with adb to the sys folder or anything. And it is running side by side with the htc app, which i still use for my yahoo accounts. Not sure if you have to be rooted, but make sure you checked unknown sources in the applications settings.
Here are the settings:
On Froyo 2.2:

Username: username@hotmail.com (or @live.com)

Password: **********

Domain\Username: \username@hotmail.com (or @live.com) make sure you include the "\"

Server: m.hotmail.com

Make sure you check both "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Accept all SSL certificates"

I think the problem with the HTC app is that it does not have an option to accept SSL certificates, so it is either doing this auto or does not support it, i am guessing it does not support it and that is why the final setup is failing.
Ive actually followed all of your steps, but it keeps saying "Failed to crate the account. Please try again later." Its wierd cause I already have my email so I dont know why it would be trying to create a new one anyway... Any help?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Been reading hotmail is now available to be setup as an exchange account. I've been readying have successfully been able to setup their droid phones this way but heard EVO users were having difficulties. I was not able to sync with the hotmail exchange account and wanted to see if any other Evo users have been successful.

Hotmail Client - Page 2 - Android Forums
Just setup my hotmail account through exchange on my EVO about 10 min ago. No errors this time around.

Upvote 0
I was finally able to set this up on my EVO, but two major problems exist, and I'm unable to fix either. Unlike the stock Email app settings, I cannot change this in the exchange settings.

1. I'm unable to view HTML Emails. They all come in as plain text, and the setting that allows one to toggle between plain text and HTML is grayed out and unable to be changed from its default setting of plain text.

2. Whenever I delete an Email, it's also deleted from the server, so when I am on my PC later, the deleted Emails are gone from my in-box. Considering I average a couple hundred Emails per day, this is annoying, because it forces me to go into my deleted box and search for a specific Email, which isn't easy. On the stock Email Hotmail account, I was able to turn off the "delete on server" feature. I can't do this in exchange.

As it stands right now, this exchange version of Hotmail is worse than my original stock Email where I added my Hotmail account. Because of the two above problems, I'm going to uninstall this and go back to what I had earlier. Considering I had the receive interval set to 5 minutes, there really was not much of a difference between that and exchange's push Email.

Upvote 0
Am new to Android

managed to set up Active Sync account for my Wife's hotmail on her new Incredible S so it can be pushmail to save on battery life. this is using the mail app which was preinstalled on the phone. Its getting mails but when a mail has been read it does not show up as having been read when checking the Hotmail account from a PC.

also have installed K9 using POP3.

any tips to get it syncing properly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones