Hotmail Users - This is the response I got from SupportGeneral

Last Updated:

1. knightwing44

knightwing44 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I delete messages on the phone and they don't delete on the server. Customer support says that's "normal".

See below:

================================================

I understand that you have questions pertaining to synchronizing the Windows Live emails with your mobile. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your problem.

I also see that you are not able to replicate the action on your device for an email copy that has been read from the server and vice versa.
    In this reference I need to provide the following explanations to you.

a) Synchronizing at this point of time is only possible through the Windows Live client application which comes pre-installed on all Windows Mobile based devices running the OS version 6.0 and above.

b) For non Windows mobile based devices there are just 2 options to access the email feature, POP3 configuration of the Live email account on your device's email program or visiting the WAP portal for emails namely http://m.mail.live.com through your device's browser.

c) None of these 2 above mentioned options would do the "sync" while the former would only retrieve and create a copy of the emails on your device, the other would only allow you to perform common email tasks of the web interface.

d) Furthermore as of now we do not support Anroid email client applications. Since emails that are setup on Google phones tend to be handled differently than normal handheld devices, we suggest that you contact HTC or your Mobile operator to receive additional assistance. They should be able to help you setup your account and make sure it is working accordingly.

e) As far as POP3 is concerned and which is the option that you are currently using we need to inform you that POP3 works on the principle wherein once an email is downloaded it's downloaded.

f) Since it does not maintain a live connection with the server it no longer has any interaction with what happens on the server side.

g) So now when the original is deleted the photo copy is not touched in your local device.

h) Therefore to end this we need to reiterate that once an email is downloaded, to save on the data transfer, we don't go check on the old messages that have downloaded to the local store.(Device or System)

====================================================

Hope that helps - waiting for Android support from Hotmail soon...

Advertisement
  2. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I assuming you already tried checking "Delete Mail Server to On" under settings.

My live mail works for deletes. I'm not sure if this will help but here are my account settings.

Incoming Setting:

Email address: xxxx@live.com
    Username: xxxx@live.com
    Password xxxxxxxx
    Pop Server: pop3.live.com
    Security Type: SSL
    Server Port: 995

Outgoing Server Settings:

Username: xxxx@live.com
    Password: xxxxxxxx
    SMTP server: smtp.live.com
    Security Type: TLS
    Server Port 25

3. knightwing44

Thanks - I'll check on that as soon as it finishes charging :)

I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that I'm @hotmail and not @live...

Thanks again
    knight

4. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

They delete for me, just not instantly. Usually a few hours later. Have you deleted and checked the next day?

5. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

im on hotmail and it deletes it for me and it is actullay pretty quick.

This made upgrading over the droid worht every penny because the droid did not delete them from the server. Everone told me that that is how POP3 e-mail works but they were incorrect, it should delete them, thats why the option is there.

6. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

i re-read their response and I think what they are saying is once you have downloaded the e-mail to your client and then delete the e-mail from the server it will not delete the e-mail from client. That is expected behavior of POP3.

7. mikeyc_123

mikeyc_123 Member

Hi All,

I have the same issue with hotmail emails not being deleted from the phone on sync (infact, that is how I ended up there after googling it!).

Even a day later I am having to delete the emails manually on the phone.

Those that have responded above to say that the emails are being delete in a sync can you tell us your email settings please for hotmail?

Cheers

Mike

8. knightwing44

WooHoo!!! It finally worked.

I can't say WHY it worked, but I deleted the email account from the phone and just re-added it. Now when I delete from the phone, it deletes on the server too :) :) :)

... if only the same would happen for read / unread emails. Still, I think I'm pretty happy with the working delete feature.

Just curious if anyone else has read emails in the phone that still appear UNREAD online?

thanks
    Knight