Hotmail vs. Gmail on ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. johnbrain

johnbrain Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Long time Hotmail user. Live Mail works great on Windows mobile of course. I know I can set up the Eris to poll foor hotmail but I have a question.

Will email run smoother if I just forward my hotmail account to my Gmail? And if I set up my gmail through the internet UI to "Reply As" my hotmail account, will it also set that as my reply as when I reply via my Eris?

Advertisement
  2. LED

LED Well-Known Member

I use Road Runner, but like Gmail for IMAP capability. So what I do is forward my RR mail to Gmail. Gmail then pushes to my Eris. All this happens nearly instantaneous. As far as outgoing mail, I setup my Gmail account (on the web, not phone) to use my RR domain so people think I am still on RR. All works good.

3. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member

I have used HOTMAIL for years, but for some reason, had a hard time setting up HOTMAIL.

I opened up a GMAIL account, using the same screenname and had all of my HOTMAIL messages forwarded to my GMAIL.

The messages come to GMAIL not much longer after they are sent to HOTMAIL.

If you set the reply to as your HOTMAIL account, it will show:
    abc@gmail.com on behalf of abc@msn.com (I actually have a msn handle, not hotmail-- same difference, lol)

I don't have a problem using my email this way.... except, all messages still go to HOTMAIL, and every now and then, I go there to delete them.

4. johnbrain

How do you forward all your Hotmail to Gmail? When I went into that setting on the Hotmail site it said I could only forward to Hotmail/Live/MSN email addresses.

I will need to get used to this. I've had my hotmail since long before MS even acquired them so I am glued to it, but POP3 SUCKS! Hopefully this summer Hotmail goes Exchange as has been mentioned.

5. johnbrain

Sorry. Additional question. If I set uo my Gmail to poll my Hotmail as pop3, will at least gmail and my phone sync? So if I read a hotmail that came via Gmail, will it show as read in gmail?

6. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member

I'm not email tech savy....

In HOTMAIL, under Options> Manage Your Account> Foward Mail to Another Email Account

I did this online, not through the phone, and just entered the new GMAIL address....

And, it allows me to NOT keep a copy of all fowarded messages (thanks for allowing me to find this option, LOL)

Yes, when I read the emails in GMAIL, all messages (sent to both HOTMAIL and GMAIL will show as read)

Once you connect HOTMAIL to GMAIL, GMAIL will import all contacts (I cannot remember, but I believe that I had to go online and under the settings, click on something to do this) and yes, GMAIL will import all contacts. Then, from your phone, you can sync all of your contacts. It works great, and I love it!

7. jabq

jabq Member

Gmail also has an option to poll and download IMAP/POP3 servers automatically. I use this on an ISP email I have.

Joel