• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hotspot bandwidth?

sinman02

Aug 3, 2010
I was concerned when I read Laptop's review about the relatively slow data speeds when using the Epic as wifi router:

"The bigger drawback for the Epic 4G is its slower speeds when used as a mobile router. When tested head to head against the Evo using a ThinkPad X201s laptop, the Epic 4G never got above 440 Kbps downloads and averaged 110 Kbps on the upload. The Evo 4G got between 1.5 and 1.8 Mbps downloads and 250 Kbps uploads. This throughput delta remained constant when we surfed the web. The Epic 4G took 24 seconds to load The New York Times on our laptop, and 26 seconds to load CNN. The Evo 4G took 13 and 10 seconds, respectively."

This is when using 3g coverage in New York/New Jersey. More "real world" I think since 4g is limited. I get faster speeds when using my old winmo tp2... 440 kbps is weak! I'm hoping further testing or tweaking will yield better numbers, or this could be a deal breaker... I've read where users were able to get much results for the Evo, substantiating Laptop's Evo tests.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones