1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How about a ONE-WAY trip to Mars?

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

Maybe it's just me, but I'm at a complete loss here. This article describes a Dutch company's upcoming one-way trips to Mars. Seriously. They're going to recruit "colonists" who want to go to Mars...and stay there.

The thing that confuses me is why the trip is one-way. They're planning on sending up new groups of colonists every two years, so I don't understand why when those people arrive others can't just leave. :confused:

Oh, they're also planning on turning this whole thing into a reality TV show. So we'll get to watch as people lose their minds and wish they'd never taken the trip up there. :rolleyes:

Anyone thinking about signing up? :eek: I can guarantee you I won't be on the list.

Advertisement
    :
  2. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

IMO this is a ridiculous idea. A reality TV show?!?!!??? And this is supposedly one way. What are they gonna do if something happens that they aren't prepared for

I should clarify that the reality show is a ridiculous idea, not the colony in general
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

You're wrong. Mars already has inhabitants. I work with them daily. :p
    Thats, RoWilJr and 9to5cynic like this.
  4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

As long there
  5. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Perhaps the trip is only a one way journey because after each group of colonists arrive, the vessel that carried them will self destruct? Hey, it could happen!;)That way, the fuel prices are kept down, and we all know how expensive fuel would be for that trip.
    I'd like to submit my own list for that trip!:p
  6. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I heard something about this last summer, and being a bit of a space nerd, I like the idea. Maybe not for a reality TV show, but a Mars colony isn't a bad idea. The Earth won't last forever and getting people to spread out across this little part of the galaxy is a nice idea.

Maybe we'll discover the remains of a Death Star just beyond our reach... :)
  7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

One problem with that. Mars will burn up before earth?!"?!
    9to5cynic likes this.
  8. jefboyardee

I think the reason is that if it takes forty years to transport living humans there and another forty to bring them back, it
  9. MoodyBlues

I can think of a few people I'd like to put on that first flight! :eek: Anyway...

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to do this. First, you'd lose years of your life getting to Mars. Just picture what that one part of this would be like. I'd go nuts from the isolation, the distance from Earth, the reality that everyone I know is forever out of reach, etc. Then the desolation once on Mars, combined with the continuing realization that your old life is irrevocably gone.

Just doesn't sound too appealing to me.
  10. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

no no no, they don't know how to lift off if they land on Mars! So it's easier to just drop them off.
  11. MoodyBlues

12. jefboyardee

That last part makes it irresistible to me.
  13. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Well, I have no doubt that there will be people willing to sign up for this, but it is not for me, for countless reasons.
  14. 9to5cynic

Hmm.. I fear that suicide rates one a mission like this would be more than a little above average. :(
  15. jefboyardee

To see a Donate to Mars One page is rather disconcerting...
    While the total mission will require billions of dollars, each contribution plays a significant role in the incremental stages at Mars One.
  16. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I'd go. I've always been fascinated by Mars.
  17. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

I'd go, but I'm probably too old, I'll be almost 60 by the time I'd get there, even if I was in one of the first groups.

But I concur, most of the people going well have significantly shortened lives once they arrive, if they can land in one piece.

If they were smart, they would build a moon colony first, then launch from there and setup a space station orbiting around mars, then find a way to do landings from the space station.
  18. 9to5cynic

I like this idea. :)
  19. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

10 years seems remarkably slow -Curiosity had a flight time of 8 months. And I don't think we can maintain a closed life support loop for that long, so if that's the flight time (and I've not read the link yet) I'd really not recommend signing up.

But I really doubt anything will come of this.
    Thats, EarlyMon and Rxpert83 like this.
  20. jefboyardee

Can you imagine spending ten years on the equivalent of a Greyhound bus packed with what start as complete strangers? And then, as reward for that, you spend the rest of your life in one of those tent things, where it’s -200-something outside.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  21. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I'm down for a moon colony. Whose in?

Anyone ever watch that reality show "The Colony"? I actually enjoyed that
    9to5cynic likes this.
  22. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

Can I suggest we follow the idea of shows such as"I'm a celebrity get me outta here"and "celebrity big brother" etc

Celebrity(though I lifted my finger while swiping and I prefer its suggestion of celeb fruity!) Mars one!
  23. MoodyBlues

24. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

The trip will not take 10 years. I checked out the web site and it shows a timeline of the plans spanning into the 2020's. There are several phases with milestones every couple of years to set up the facilities to accept the colonists. Once the facilities are in place, the trip to send the first group of colonists will take less than a year to complete. There will be a group of 4. Then additional colonists will follow every couple of years.

Not sure where the 10 years came from. Possibly for the entire length of the project to get the first colonists. Also, the colonists will need to undergo some training to acclimate themselves to being isolated by putting them in some remote area for a long period of time.

This is definitely an interesting endevour. Personally, I would not volunteer.
  25. MoodyBlues

I was going by this quote from the original article:

"Mars One only asks that applicants be at least 18 years of age (they will be 28 by the time they land on Mars), speak English and don