• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How about a ONE-WAY trip to Mars?

And have you noticed that until they announced about that asteroid that's supposed to hit us in 2036 or so, that it wasn't a rush to get to Mars?

It's going to miss though - better measurements of its trajectory have confirmed that.
I hadn't even thought about this until reading Kamau's comment. Even if its new measurements show that it's going to miss, it's still kind of interesting how coincidental it is!

Upvote 0
I don't think they will just be sitting around in their pod's waiting for something to happen. You would have to have task setup in order to survive. I think it would be interesting and I think I would even volunteer to go. Not that I don't have things here just that It would be an experience that would be one in a lifetime. To be a forefather of a colony that becomes a world would be kewl. In order to do something like this you need to set up skilled people to take on the task of survival. I don't think we could just go up and not have the mind set of survival and colonization. You will have to set up schools and hospitals. You will have to set up trade. You need to set up a political power and military power (so someday you can fight the idiots left on earth :p ) You need to setup food and growing stations. No animal's so no meat you would have to be vegan until someone started shipping cows, pigs, and chickens up to you. One would need to be in shape to deal with the climate and lack of rich oxygen. Then there is what to do with all the CO2 that will be exhausted into the atmosphere there. Whats it going to do to the planet? Will we still be able to adapt to our surroundings as we can here on earth? Will we have to use breast milk for cereal? Will disease cause mass death? There is just a great deal of information that must be known before we destroy yet another planet.

Upvote 0
For the love of all that is good & holy, whoever goes PLEASE take him with you. I'll pay the bill.

Attachments

• psy-gangnam-style-1-picsay.jpg
    psy-gangnam-style-1-picsay.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
I don't think they will just be sitting around in their pod's waiting for something to happen. You would have to have task setup in order to survive.
What makes the most sense to me would be to select people based on their skill set. In other words, have assigned tasks for each colonist based on their particular skills/knowledge/education, but I'm not sure that's how they're going to choose who goes.

I think it would be interesting and I think I would even volunteer to go. Not that I don't have things here just that It would be an experience that would be one in a lifetime. To be a forefather of a colony that becomes a world would be kewl.
You'd really go? Granted, it would be amazing to be among the first to settle a new world, but the cost far outweighs the benefit as far as I'm concerned.

In order to do something like this you need to set up skilled people to take on the task of survival. I don't think we could just go up and not have the mind set of survival and colonization. You will have to set up schools and hospitals. You will have to set up trade. You need to set up a political power and military power (so someday you can fight the idiots left on earth :p )
But, see, ALL of this requires time--a lot of it. Time and people. But they're talking about sending up a small handful of people every two years. So where's the manpower going to come from to actually build this infrastructure? I think we really need to look at it based on its original configuration, which will be a small number of people...period.

You need to setup food and growing stations. No animals so no meat
Yay! Maybe I will sign up after all. I'd love to live where there is no cruelty and abuse to other sentient beings. :D

you would have to be vegan until someone started shipping cows, pigs, and chickens up to you.
No, no, no! Not for food, anyway. Besides, once everybody's vegan, why go back to cruelty? :thinking:

One would need to be in shape to deal with the climate and lack of rich oxygen. Then there is what to do with all the CO2 that will be exhausted into the atmosphere there. Whats it going to do to the planet? Will we still be able to adapt to our surroundings as we can here on earth? Will we have to use breast milk for cereal? Will disease cause mass death? There is just a great deal of information that must be known before we destroy yet another planet.
You've brought up many good points. And I don't know that, right now, the people planning all this actually have appropriate answers/solutions for these issues. Who's going to audit them BEFORE they go up there and plunder Mars? Anyone? I don't know. But without some safeguards in place, I see this whole endeavor as a disaster--on many levels--just waiting to happen.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones