• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How about a ONE-WAY trip to Mars?

One of the main reasons they are attempting to go to Mars is because has an atmosphere, and with some help by us humans, it can over time be terraformed. Not to mention Mars has ice water, similar Earth day, seasons, etc, etc. To my knowledge, the Moon has none of these. I however agree that it would make more sense to build a moon base first, then move on to other planets...

The reason why we want a base on moon is Helium 3. I don't know much of a details, but from what i've read its an excellent source of energy. Earth does not have much of it, but moon does.

Upvote 0
This is a new one on me! I'd heard about the scheme to slingshot a couple of pensioners around Mars and back, but sending people on a one way trip to set up a colony, financed by making it as a Big Brother type TV show (presumably without the votes and evictions) .. wow!

Sure, there are plenty of people with daddy issues and that other sort of attention deficit disorder - the one where they can never have enough attention - but are they really going to sign up for a one way trip to the red planet, just so they can be in front of a camera? :eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah this is an interesting subject. There is already a thread about the one-way trip:

http://androidforums.com/lounge/674540-how-about-one-way-trip-mars.html

That's interesting reading. Although, I like your take on the idea that someone would do it just to get on a reality TV show.

That is pretty sad, compared to some people's dreams of space travel, etc.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yeah, it would definitely be more appealing if it were a holiday that you could return from. If you could "jump" and be back home.

BTW I loved the cylon in the bathtub - very redolent of the precogs in Minority Report. There's something about a highly intelligent woman jabbering possibly genius comments while relaxing in the bath.

As far as the big brother house goes, it would be good if you could return home to Earth after being evicted from the house, rather than having to roam the wilderness of Mars alone.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
As far as the big brother house goes, it would be good if you could return home to Earth after being evicted from the house, rather than having to roam the wilderness of Mars alone.

I don't know: looking at the people who do Big Brother, would you really want them back? :D

Which incidentally does make me wonder if there isn't a catch-22 in this plan: can you really see the sort of people who want to be life-long Big Brother contestants also being the sort of people who you could stick in an outsized baked bean can for 5 months, then have build a cage that they are to spend the rest of their days in and NOT have them freak out and do something idiotic?

And as for the chances of them completing that build without problems ..

Upvote 0
I don't know: looking at the people who do Big Brother, would you really want them back? :D

Which incidentally does make me wonder if there isn't a catch-22 in this plan: can you really see the sort of people who want to be life-long Big Brother contestants also being the sort of people who you could stick in an outsized baked bean can for 5 months, then have build a cage that they are to spend the rest of their days in and NOT have them freak out and do something idiotic?

And as for the chances of them completing that build without problems ..

But more drama= bigger ratings.;)

Upvote 0
78efe6ac_total_recall.jpeg

Upvote 0
165,000 people have applied!
Honestly, I'm shocked. I didn't think that many people would want to go.

I'm baffled, too. :thinking: As we hashed out before, the issues involved with actually GOING there, permanently, wow...I know I couldn't do it. Wouldn't want to do it!

They should send the lot of them. There is definitely potential to build a Martian society if so many people are prepared to move.
True.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones