How about some step by step help?Support

Last Updated:

1. Karl_Tx

Karl_Tx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have rooted my captivate first using unleash the beast and then used ryan;s one click lag fix. I would love to get the new update but it will not work. My question is can I get some simple step by step method of returning my phone to stock so I can upgrade it? I know there are a ton of posts on this but some seem fragmented and people use explanations that seem to assume that the people reading them are at the same lever of understanding that they are. All I want do is return my phone to stock for update and then root is again in the easiest way possible without bricking my phone. Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The Odin method has been the standard trick for "flashing to stock" however numerous people have reported still being unable to apply the OTA update after this, so it would seem that it's not quite a pure "stock" phone afterward.

According to the polls done here, the majority of people who have hacked around with their phone (rooting, lagfixes, overclocking, custom kernels, etc) have been totally and utterly unable to install the OTA update. There are no promises you'll have a solution anytime soon.

3. ohbaby714

ohbaby714 Member

I rooted with unleash the beast also and was having the same problem updating via OTA. I did however have OCLF instead of Ryan but here is what i did to get the update.

1. I remove one click lag fix via OCLf program, that is include removing the EXT2 file, etc. I have no clue how to do it with the Ryan, nor if it even necessary before the odin3. I was just trying to clean it as much as i could (probably a wasted of time).

2. I follow the steps here to get it back to stock (odin3):
    [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers
    First download all of the software/ drivers then follow the steps.
    The trick to get into download mode is, i used Method 2 but in step 3 i push up+down only (no power button), yellow screen will come up right away if you do this right then just hit start on your PC then wait.

3. Your phone should now restore back like when you first got it.
    Then i follow the steps here:
    I897UCJH7 - OTA System, Kernel, Modem - Clockwork Flashable - Rooted - Page 5 - xda-developers
    Starting at #3 because you odin already. Clockwork is great, it installed everything automatically.
    After the step, my phone "About phone", under "Setting" show Firmware Version "2.1-update1".
    It also rooted but need to install busybox from app store to get full permission.

The most important thing about the whole process is to Titanium back up, if you never heard about it i suggest you get it. It help me restore everything after the update (wipe), and i didn't missed a beat. Best $4 you will ever spent if you wish to keep hacking your phone.

In conclusion, i didn't really know much of the difference between the new firmware and old one. My GPS still unpredictable, work good at time and it's a dud at time. Anyway, i was able to get OCLF reinstall after busybox and back to normal (+2200 quadrant score) with a new firmware.