• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How abt. a USB webcam for Android smartphones

There was a guy that just turned his Nexus One into a USB host, and he seems to think it's possible on 2.1 too. If anyone wants to give it a try and report back... Nexus One USB host driver

I just realized that this might only apply to the Nexus One, but someone around here is probably smart enough to figure it out.
I'd just inquired about the same thing over in the Gamepad Thread. If a software upgrade is all that's needed for the Inc. to have USB hosting ability, then BRING IT ON! Using a plug-in gamepad would be ideal!

Upvote 0
Firstly, apologies for the bump

Secondly, THANK YOU for the link to that 2.1 USB host article

Third and Finally, I had this exact idea. THough my idea was to have a webcam which clips on the bottom of my nexus one - to act as a forward facing (and backwards facing if you get one of those Swivel ones like Asus Laptops) camera. For video calls.

Such a cool idea that imma gonna mock something up in Google (what else!) Sketchup 8.

I'll post it here when done :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones