1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How Accurate Are Data Counters Like 3G Watchdog?

Last Updated:

1. Al_Jolson

Al_Jolson New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 29, 2009
    Is anyone who is using 3G Watchdog or NetCounter actually receiving accurate stats compared to what Orange are showing on their OrangeWorld "Your Account" section?
    I have been using my new HTC Hero for just over 2 weeks now and Orange are saying that I have used 422MB of data. This seems ridiculous to me as I only automatically check email once per hour, surf to the extent of anyone with such a new gadget, and spend every evening at home connected to WiFi from about 6pm onwards.
    I phoned Orange one day last week and they advised that I had used 310MB up to that point, so I immediately downloaded 3G Watchdog and started it running. Since then, it says that I have used 36MB in the same period that Orange say I have used 112MB.
    I also use NetCounter, but as I didn't reset it last week, I can't make any specific comparisons. However, on a daily basis it always agrees with 3G Watchdog to within a few KB.

I know I will need to phone Orange to sort this out, and I am certain that they will tell me that downloaded data counter apps cannot be trusted. I'm not sure how I can prove to them that their data readings for me are wrong.

Any ideas?

2. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I'm using 3G Watchdog on my droid, and from install to now, it shows I've used 163mb. I've been installing/uninstalling apps like crazy, light texting, no videos, no streaming anything. (well not a large amount...)

The developer for the app is a nice guy, email him and ask. I'm sure he won't be offended.