how accurate is gps driving direcetions?

Last Updated:

1. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How accurate is the gps on droid running 2.1? I'm going on a trip for a interview in a week.

Advertisement
  2. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

Usually pretty good. sometime not as good with the shortcuts thru parking lots & dead roads. I usually double check with google or mapquest on my laptop first.

3. photog

photog Active Member

It's pretty good, but there are sometimes better ways. I went on a trip recently where Google wanted me to go through a city with stop lights when I knew there was a slightly longer route with no lights and 55-65 the whole way.

If you are planning something out you can log into your Google account on your computer. Get directions from Maps. Then you can click on a section of your path and drag the path to the road you would like to take. When you get your path the way you want you can save it to My Maps and then load it up on your phone.

4. photog

photog Active Member

But if you are in a pinch and you need to find the way to get some where I would say it is very reliable in getting you there......just not always the way people who know the area well would take.

If you get off of the path it has laid for you it will quickly adjust to find a new road for you to get back on track.

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

agreed..

recently, my in car navi system seemed to be giving me a route I just "felt" was wrong. switched on the Droid and it gave us something faster and quicker in immediate. even when I questioned it, it kept updating and recalculating how to get where I wanted so I finally just went for it and it worked well.

my onboard navi is via a DVD, do, technically, the Droid "should" be more up to date then my DVD AND you can get a traffic overlay which is nice.

6. Gazooo

Gazooo Active Member

I think it is very accurate. For the most part it has me pulling up to streets within what appears to be 10-20 ft, for the most part. I have seen it off by half a block or so, but than it seems to catch up. Might have been gps interference from the city buildings at that time, just a guess.

Don't know if you are aware of this but one of my favorite parts of Google's GPS is the ability to search for alternate routes.

Once you are navigating, click on the menu button, route info, then the button that appears to have 2 lines to one balloon on the bottom. That gives you alternate routes to your destination. At the top select which route to highlight. Road info, miles, and time will be listed at the top. When you look at the map it will have the traffic layer visible to aid in your selection. Awesome!

Google's GPS is like everything else android. Google puts out some really amazing software with very limited amount of instruction.

I would practice it around town and places you know for no kidding a couple of weeks. Things come up, lock ups, phone calls, etc...That way when you really don't know where you are you know how to handle the GPS instead of getting frustrated (experience talking here, lol).

How I handle phone calls is to place them on speaker when they pop up, home button, drop down the message bar from the top and select GPS. That way while you are on the phone you can see the map as you are driving.

Also, to everyone, a public service message. Please, just pull over if needing to spend more than a few seconds clicking around on the phone.

Hope it helps.

7. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

its as good as my tom tom. i like it a lot

8. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

Very

9. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

its better and more accurate than my stand-alone GPS. I also like the fact that the updates are free, where as any stand-alone GPS charges you to update the SD card.

BTW...recently went on a trip to disney land from phoenix. The Google GPS worked flawlessly, where as my stand alone had issues keeping up with the position of the car.

10. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

The only bad thing I have noticed (and it has happened on my Garmin also) is the end destination is sometimes a hundred yards off but common sense always got me to where I wanted to go.

11. dvduval

dvduval Member

I had a rental car with built in GPS and I found Android's GPS better.

12. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I finally had mine mess up the other day. I was looking for a best buy and it took me to someones house! Other than that it has been right on and most of the time has a picture of my destination when I arrive....pretty sweet!

13. gnowak2

gnowak2 Active Member

More accurate than my New model Garmin. My Garmin is about 200 ft off and this one is about 20 ft. Much more accurate than my sons and son-in-laws built in auto unit