how accurate is speedtest.net?

1. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

i dont know man. depending on what server i use i can score 4mb down to 1mb and when i look to see what my speeds are when im actually downloading a file it fluctuates between 350KB to 96KB.

even though it seems to download just as fast as my home network which is around 4.5mb down. and even that fluctuates at times.

i guess i have no idea how fast my 4g is.

Advertisement
    :
  2. AppleUser

AppleUser Well-Known Member

When I tested 3G vs. 4G LTE with speedtest.net, the download was 100 and 1200 respectively.
  3. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Those speedtest are burst tests, so they show peak and burst speeds, but not the best at showing constant speed/bandwidth.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3
  4. AppleUser

AppleUser Well-Known Member

So what app or website do you recommend ?
  5. i use open signal maps.. turn on gps so it can find the closest tower/place
  6. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Speedtest is the best, but you have to realize that the stats are peak/burst, not constant. If you want a true test, download a rom or a large file and see what dl speed you get... That will show you the expected constant bandwidth.

7. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

What app do you use to measure those constant dl speeds?
  8. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

no app. just download a large file.
  9. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Bingo. Go try to download the img of ubuntu... It's over a gig so you can see how fast you can get easily from a file that size. Any large file will do.

10. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

So you don't have an app to measure it, you just do it the old fashioned way and time it?
  11. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

No need for even that. Just find a large file and download it. Look @ the browser downloads or download app and you'll see the rate. Do it a few times to see the different rates, since download speeds can vary.