1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How accurate is the GPS

Last Updated:

1. desrosiers13

desrosiers13 Member This Topic's Starter

im totally new to the G1, coming from an iphone, but my gps when on (and can actually get a signal lock), seems to always have me on the grass or in the water if driving my any. Its rarely ever where I am. and im in a major city. Perhaps that could be why, but i always have clear view to the sky.

just seeing how it works for other folks.
    thanks

dave

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Your situation is not unheard of. Personally, I've never run into this issue and my location is always spot on. What I would try first is a factory reset of your phone; if that doesn't solve your issue, call your wireless carrier and ask for a warranty exchange.

3. desrosiers13

desrosiers13 Member This Topic's Starter

i have tried the factory reset already. im only 5 days into my trial period. i would really hate to have to turn in my phone due to all the personalization done (apps, email, bookmarks etc).

are you sure it is a hardware issue?

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

You might delete any apps that you downloaded that use GPS.
    then With the Phone ON pull the battery and the SIM ... wait a minute and
    reboot ....
    The try Google MAPS (outside with clear sky) and see how good a fix you get ...
    if no good then...

Like Swizz says ... your first best option is a Factory Reset ... this will clear many firmware hangups and reinstall them as they were designed to be..

If that doesnt work then you will need to get a replacement ...

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

first, I'm not sure what you mean by "the grass or the water". GPS is only accurate up to so many feet. It's not going to get you at your exact millimeter on the ground.

One thing others have noted is that if you turn off Wireless location, the GPS can improve. These two location options are supposed to work together to improve accuracy, but for some people they cancel each other out.

6. justjimjpc

mine seems very accurate and sensitive ... i can stand on my street corner ... maybe only 6 ft in from the corner ... and my routing will go down the one street .. sidewalk corner lot with fence ... walk less than 3 feet around the corner ... and the GPS prog i use will recalc ... for directions on the other street

7. LansdowneMike

LansdowneMike Well-Known Member

I'm also very new to the G1, but one of the first apps I loaded was GPS Status 2. When other GPS apps (including maps) seem to be not working too well, I run GPS Status 2 and can see exactly what's going on (how many satellites are visible, what the accuracy is, whether it even has acquired enough satellites to make a guess, etc.)

8. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

It could be satellite signal, hardware, or soft temporary problem.

9. justjimjpc

Not a SAT issue ... guarantee !!!

10. DK1105

DK1105 New Member

From personally experience I have tested my GPS down to around 10 feet. I got lost in downtown chicago looking for a party and I knew I was in the right area but couldn't find the building. So I figured it was the perfect time to really test out the GPS. I also use it for my frequent drives from Chicago to Detroit.

11. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

I'm in san diego, I have used multiple roms and whether I use google maps or andnav2 the gps is very good inside or outside. In google maps the gps tracks me moving around my house. There is usually pretty clear weather here maybe it's that?

12. DK1105

DK1105 New Member

Yea I have noticed it can sometimes be kind of hard to find a gps signal but once you do its hard to drop it.

13. Buffman

Buffman Member

Yeah the G1 has got some problems with the GPS and its a hardware issue. I mainly use mine for whenever I boot up CardioTrainer ( a running app, amongst many things) and some days it works spot on and others, not so well.

Also, I'm usually in the NYC (Manhattan) area and only doesn't work due to usually cloudy days, lots of trees blocking my path in the park, and etc