How Android phone identify a non-market app ?

1. asteroidg

asteroidg Member

Hi to everyone.
    Could anybody tell me how android phone identify at installation point that the app is not an android market app. What is the process ?

Also is there a way to avoid that by creating a new app which will allow me to install non-android market apps ?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

(I'm not a developer or anything, so forgive me if I'm oversimplifying things but...)

Surely it's just the fact it's being installed via the market app that makes it special?

I tried installing an .apk via the market, saving it elsewhere, uninstalling from the market and then installing it manually. The .apk was rejected as being a non-market app, so that tells me there's nothing unique about the apk; the fact that it's being installed via the market is what's important.
  3. asteroidg

asteroidg Member

Thank you for your answer.
    But what is the process when an app is installed via market ? How they check if the app is from google market or not when even the app was moved to another location to your phone ?
  4. asteroidg

asteroidg Member

I have tried to install an market app which was moved to my sd card by using the app FileManager and because the option Unknown sources from Settings-> Applications was unchecked then I wasn't able to install it, if the option is checked then i was able to install the app. That means that there is a link between the app and Google market but how it looks and works that's the question ? Also this option is not on AT&T devices so the main thing is in that link, or something which allow installation to go trough ...
  5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Ah, I get you. Yeah I know market apps will go via the sdcard sometimes.