• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How are free browsers monetised?

In short, it's about search ad revenue (placing google or whoever as first choice for search) and (possibly) selling and giving out more data (bookmarks, URL history (supercookies, etc), cookies, login usernames, etc). I know that firefox for Android offers no option to not remember form data (it does so by default). It can be assumed some of this data is sent off to homebase.

With the various "hand-holding" security features found on the desktop browers they also monitor basically every website you visit to make sure it's "safe". By doing so, the developers know a lot about their users. Profile data of millions of users is being built up and sold in backroom deals, basically.

Most of the major tech companies know that most people have long since stopped caring. They want free. I heard Firefox will get integrated ads soon.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks buddy. This is kinda what i suspected.
The app im testing is CM Secure Browser and a lot of their emphasis is on the "secure" part so I think it is keeping an eye on what sites i visit and i assume theyre making money from that.
Not that i mind one bit. I happily pay for a "free" product with my information all the time.
When i asked in their community though. Id have liked a bit of disclosure and not have them just ignore the question.
Im gona give them a piece of my mind and punish them by stopping recommending the browser to friends.
I admire honesty and hate lies even if the lie is by default :)

Upvote 0
Lol I just checked and they had removed my question.
Tut Tut. Had to send out a public post telling people not to touch the browser. The best companies are learning how important digital word of mouth is and people nowadays demand full disclosure.
We want things for free but there are plenty of free alternatives around so reputation can easily make or break :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones