How are the buttons?

Last Updated:

1. carlhill

carlhill Member This Topic's Starter

I've read a little about the buttons being flimsy and hard to press/use. Does it take a lot of getting used to? Couldn't someone just make some on-screen icons that worked like buttons?

ch

Advertisement
  2. mysterygirl

mysterygirl Active Member

I don't think they're flimsy or particularly difficult to use. I did notice that my menu/home button is looser than my back/search button. This bothers me, but that's because I want perfection and not because I think they are really in danger of falling off or anything. Using the physical buttons does take some getting used to. But, after over two weeks with the phone, I don't have an issue with them. I probably have a preference for touch-sensitive buttons, but the X's physical buttons haven't been a deal-breaker for me.

3. archer

archer Member

I like the hard buttons. On the original Droid I was always accidentally pressing the soft touch buttons, especially in the camera mode. I was always cursing them.

4. dxflip

dxflip Active Member

just started having issue with my camera button (surprisingly haven't used it much until recently). I noticed that it's loose, basically pressing it normally, it won't do anything, it may do a quick auto focus but nothing after. Even pressing it soft then hard, still nothing. So I tried something just an hour ago, I actually pinched the side of the phone where the camera button is and what do you know it works! Pressing lightly on the camera button activates auto focus and hard(not super hard just until it clicks) to take a pic. So I guess I'm going to need to get this exchanged :(

Other than that though all the buttons have been working fine, I never dropped this phone so not sure why the camera button is suddenly loose :(. Anyone else have this issue?

5. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Me too... I was having trouble with the dinc's on screen buttons. I do like the hardware buttons.

6. blubill

blubill Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's supposed to be like this.....it's so you can focus and make sure it looks right before actually taking the picture. It's the same way my DSLR camera works when on auto focus.

Or are you saying you have to pinch the front/back?

7. dxflip

dxflip Active Member

Yup I I have to basically pinch the case.. sorry wasn't clear on that :). I basically pinch the front and back of the case near where the camera button is for it to actually work as it should.

8. Hairydawg75

Hairydawg75 Active Member

I don't think they're flimsy at all....and they do take quite a firm press to register (at least mine do). That said, they grow on you after using them for a while.

9. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

This is my first smart phone, but I am always cursing my laptop's touchpad. I think I would hate virtual buttons. The hard buttons are easy to use and not flimsy. I like them.

10. drew999999

drew999999 Member

Been a long time lurker on these forums, but recently created my account. The buttons don't seem cheap at all to me. I have pressed the channel buttons on my remote control alot more times than I'd ever press on my phone and it has held up for years. I'm just not buying into the idea that I've read on some threads that they will mechanically fail. I'd think that the 'technology' in the buttons are the most tried and true of any part of this phone.

Lots of love for this toy so far.

11. masse

masse Well-Known Member

The buttons suck. I like the idea of hardware buttons but they feel cheap and in my opinion take away from the overall superb build quality of the phone.

12. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

The buttons still work well i just miss capacitive

13. john_ecko

john_ecko Well-Known Member

I prefer hardware buttons (coming from a storm1). At first I didn't like the buttons all that much because they're so thin. I've gotten used to pressing them though.

14. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Diddo, hated Dinc's soft buttons bad. Too many acidental pushes, or should I say touches. Love the hard buttons. It was a major deciding factor in going with the X.

15. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I prefer the hard buttons. I believe with capacitive buttons you can't unlock the phone by pressing the Home button. I do that a lot. Capacitive buttons look slicker but physical buttons work better in my opinion.

16. dahacker

dahacker Active Member

I like the hard buttons, but they seem kind of flimsy. No way are they going to last a two year contract. Especially the back button.

17. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

They're the same buttons as the Droid, Droid folks say. The Droid buttons are lasting fine, so far. You may be right, though. I hope not.

18. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

I don't like the hard buttons...I wished they were touch...but as others have said, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.I use the back button the most and its the most responsive..my home button was used but after getting launcherpro i stopped using it..anyways, my home button is the least responsive.

19. john0821

john0821 Well-Known Member

The only button that is odd to me is the camera button. I loved the way the camera was on my LG. But the DX feels clunky.

20. tracerprix

tracerprix Well-Known Member

I am very happy with the buttons on my DX, I hated the captive buttons on the Dinc!!!! I kept hitting the buttons on accident!

21. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

Forgot the power/lock button...
    Its rather small..it be nice if it was a bit bigger.

22. dxflip

dxflip Active Member

I'm happy with the X buttons, just had an issue with the Camera button, seems it was loose, took it to VZ store today and they ordered a new one for replacement but so far I like the hardware buttons.