How are those new low voltage kernels?

Last Updated:

1. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I am thinking of flashing one of them tonight, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has been using them. Does wifi tether work? How stable do they seem? Any strange problems/bugs? Any replies are appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Pretty cool up until you get to 1 ghz...I can't get ant higher without random reboots. I was running at 1.2 ghz with the older kernels. I haven't noticed a big temp difference, but the jury is still out.

3. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

i believe the one im running on my beast is low voltage its chevy 1.2 kernel..i have no problems smooth as hell..im at 1ghz right now no force closes no reboots and no temp issues

dont kno about tethering

4. CRPercodani

No, chevys kernels aren't low voltage. Just AdamZ's.

5. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

could of swore i read somewhere it was but oh well..still runs great...i might try one of adamz to compare

6. CRPercodani

Yeah, I have used chevy's kernels for awhile but I wanna see how much cooler these new low voltages run's and how much batt life.

7. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Flashed this morning. I'd say it's about 7degrees c cooler. And looking longer, but we'll see.

Running second highest at 1200

8. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Been running low voltage and 1.2 for a day or so. Stable, but I don't notice any difference in the temps.

9. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Quoted from Chevy on his 2.0.2 release page.

[ROM] Simply Stunning 2.0.2 Release - ESE53 2.1 - (3/9/2010)

Base:

ESE53

What's Inside the Box:

-Overclocked Kernel with five slots allows clocking of 125-1200 MHz in mixed steps (credit to ChevyNo1)
    - Check the 'other kernels' link if you want a different speed, or a 10-slot kernel
    - Supports TempMonitor
    - I have spent many hours tweaking this kernel to run at the lowest possible voltage (no significant increase until 1100Mhz)
    - With the 2.0.1 launcher, my testing + real world use has been rock solid, no reboots, no FC's, even @ 1.25Ghz

- This is a new kernel from previous releases that should run cooler, therefore more stable. This ALSO includes the STOCK
    - 550Mhz slot, and the kernel DEFAULTS to that speed, until you use an app like SetCPU.

CRPercodani likes this.
  10. CRPercodani

That is from his newest ROM, I am talking about all of his other kernels. He just made that change, but you can't get it in any of his kernels unless you pull it out of the ROM.

11. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Sounds like a lot of people are running good at 1.2 GHz and that sucks cause I ran fine with Tasmanian Droid's 1.2 GHz kernel (when Temp Monitor first came out on the market). I could only run 1.1 GHz on Chevy's kernels (not the new low voltage from his latest update). Now I am on AdamZ kernel and down to 1.0 GHz. 1.1 and 1.2 crash almost instantly when I try and play Raging Thunder 2 (or SetCPU's stress test).

Can the rom play any significant role in this? I haven't found that to be the case in the past but maybe someone has experienced something different.

EDIT - I was playing with different kernels last night (comparing performance and temperature with various kernels) and I tried to load the lowest voltage kernels in AdamZ package. For some reason, I am now running 1.2 and my phone is stable. Don't know why, but I'm not complaining. I will evaluate after a full 24 or 48 hours.

12. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

up until this morning I was running the adamz low voltage kernel, and my when the phone would auto lock, i occasionally couldnt get the phone out of that idle state with out a battery pull. I upgraded to the medium this morning and havent had a freeze yet, while before i was getting multiple a day. Also as counterintuitive as it sounds it seems to be running cooler

13. Wisdom

Wisdom Well-Known Member

I've had this same issue running his LV@1000, so I think I'll spend a day with MV@1000 to see if there is a difference in stability or temperature. Thanks for the tip!

14. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

running low voltage at 800mhz and getting 24hours with medium use. had to reboots but that might have been JIT which i have since disabled.

15. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

I just tried chevy's on 2.1 5 slot from adamz on 2.0.1 and running very cool. I will see about trying adamz tomorrow.

16. ericks17

ericks17 Well-Known Member

Here are all his kernels.
    ChevyNo1 - Get Yer Kernels Here (ERE25 Only)

I have yet to try his new 5-slot ones though. Was on his 1.25 10 slot. AdamZ though I am loving it, running 1.2 low voltage. Awesome battery life probably the best since I have had the phone. Temps might be a little cooler they don't shoot up as fast. When I had chevy's 10 slots of 1.2 & 1.25 had a lot of batt. pulls and phone not waking and setcpu doesn't work with them very well. With AdamZ I did have to do a batt pull and it rebooted and also the phone didn't wake once. So same issues as chevy but nowhere near as often. With chevy's I couldn't stand all those problems anymore. Now with AdamZ's it is so rare that this happens. Maybe I will try chevy's 5-slots idk, everything AdamZ makes from roms to kernels are always the most stable for me. I can't wait till AdamZ gets his ese53 ROM out.

17. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

According to Chevy all of his kernals are low voltage. That's according to his post #148, in the ERE25 thread. Anyways, I have Chevy's 1.1ghz 5 slot kernal installed and I have had zero issues. Temps do not go over 35 celsius during heavy usage. I would say my average temps would be low 30 celsius.

Might be a dumb question, but does one know if a kernal is truly "low" voltage.

18. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Running BB .7 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2. Had it really heat up soon after while just doing some web browsing (up to 104F, the highest I've seen. Got a little nervous so backed it down to 800. Been running at 1.2 since with no heat issues. Just did a quick short bench and got 153ms.

19. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Actually, 104F (40C) during active use is nothing to worry about.

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I ran AdamZ's low voltage kernal for a few days before I flashed chevys new SS. Seemed fine I could go up to 1.2 but 1.3 cause my phone to freeze everytime. I didnt notice it to be any cooler or any other advantage over Chevy's kernals

21. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I am finding the kernel included with SS to be as cool and stable as anything I have previously tried.

22. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

thats true runs just ever so slightly cooler than his last batch of kernals for me

23. CRPercodani

So I went with the low voltage 1.1ghz last night. It's been pretty good so far, at first the temp's didn't seem any different then before but today I haven't been able to get it above 38C, that was with Pandora streaming over bluetooth in my car. The lock ups you all speak of have happened to me before, I first noticed them when I flashed the new ESE53 (not any particular ROM, just a nandroid restore of the SBF). They have gone away since the first day or 2 of having the new ROM installed.

24. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Been using the one that comes with SS 2.0.2. I'm running at 1.2ghz and no troubles. I haven't even seen 40c yet.

28c in standby. I pick it up when I want to cool my hands :p

25. CRPercodani

Mine was at 11C this morning when I first awoken it from sleep/standby.