• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How are those new low voltage kernels?

On UltimateDROID 6.3 I am easily able to run Chevy's No1 10slot 1200MHz kernel maxed out, and stress tested it for 30 minutes without a hitch.

Whenever I put AdamZ's LV / MV 1200 / 1300 kernels on here, I get better benchmarks (obviously) but stress testing fails anywhere from immediately to within 10 seconds.

Also, I have had issues with Chevy's not registering temps correctly - more than once I have rebooted the phone only to get no temp in my notification bar, and loading TempMonitor shows a -1degC (31degF) for the upper device, OMAP3340(?) - sometimes a reboot fixes it, but I have had to power cycle the phone 4 times, including 2 battery pulls, before it came back once.

With AdamZ's kernels, they seem to run a bit hotter, especially when doing things - and when testing, forget it. Stress testing has gotten my CPU to 139degF before crashing on the 1200 LV kernel.

I think that AdamZ's kernels are the most accurate in terms of reporting, but thus far Chevy's kernel is the more stable. If I am resigned to using a lower speed than 1200, I may eventually opt for AdamZ's LV1100 for the accuracy.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to get my phone to run at 1.3 ghz for over 2 months. I decided to put AdamZ's new kernel on my phone last night and I can finally keep the droid stable at 1.3. I couldnt be happier right now. I was previously running at 1.25 with 2-3 random reboots a week, but so far on 1.3 its been running perfect at around 30 degrees C. I highly recommend anyone to try them out.

Upvote 0
I personally keep around 100 apps, so I am betting that with all the apps I have, and with all the ones that run at boot, I am pretty positive that I'll never see 1.3 GHz stable on this phone.

All of my benches are done with everything in place, but just for fun I loaded up 6.3 and AdamZ's 1200 LV kernel with no apps, and was shocked to be consistently getting high 120s and low 130s for the short bench (and even got a 91 once!).

However, I also realized something else - with all the kernels I have tried in the last 3 days, all of my default profile in SetCPU have been Performance instead of On-Demand. Not sure if that is going to make a difference (but I'll warrant it does, if my theory is correct about AdamZ's being the better reporting kernel).

If UD7.0 wasn't due out any minute I'd play some more - but it is a major PITA to have to go through the rom.tgx process just to install a new AdamZ kernel, and I haven't bothered to rip them out of the archive yet....

Upvote 0
My short benches are in the high 100s. That average? It's always in the 200s the first time, then drops between 170 and 190.

There are so many things that can effect your bench scores. like how many widgets you have, how many programs are running. The biggest things though are OC speed and whether or not you have Jit enabled. I am running SS @1.2 ghz with jit and I get 120-140 when I back it down to 800mhz with jit I get 220-250

Upvote 0
Question:

These kernels have choices between low, medium and high voltages and within each you have a choice of steps.

Is that choice of each just to pick the steps you want? In other words, if I set to 800 using any of the low voltage roms that get me there, will it be the same?

Is there any benefit to picking one that goes up to say, 1200 and downclocking to 1000 max vs. picking one that maxes at 1000 and setting it there?

Looking for best blend of performance and battery. It seems that there is very little dropoff for me between 1200 and 1100 on benchmarks and almost none visually, so I've dropped it back to 1100.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
up until this morning I was running the adamz low voltage kernel, and my when the phone would auto lock, i occasionally couldnt get the phone out of that idle state with out a battery pull.

I am having the same issue, although it only happened once I have a max set of 550MHz right now..

Might go to a medium voltage although I changed my sleep max Speed to 550 from 400, see if that helps

Upvote 0
ok just installed adamz low voltage on two different droids and LOVING them. runs very cool. no problems at all. using BB 2.1 0.8. This is really the best this has run so far. I've got both droids running at 1100 and they are very fast. I was worried at first because I've never pushed them to above 1000 before, but so far it is awesome.

Upvote 0
Question:

These kernels have choices between low, medium and high voltages and within each you have a choice of steps.

Is that choice of each just to pick the steps you want? In other words, if I set to 800 using any of the low voltage roms that get me there, will it be the same?

Is there any benefit to picking one that goes up to say, 1200 and downclocking to 1000 max vs. picking one that maxes at 1000 and setting it there?

Looking for best blend of performance and battery. It seems that there is very little dropoff for me between 1200 and 1100 on benchmarks and almost none visually, so I've dropped it back to 1100.

Thanks!

No one knows the answer to this?

Upvote 0
Question:

Thanks!

I will try to answer this:

The way the installer works is you pick your voltage level and then the 5 step speeds. I don't think there is an advantage or disadvantage to running at max or getting one and running slower. when I was running Pete's BB I picked the Low voltage 800MHz Max, but then had to switch to the 800MHz medium Voltage due to not coming out of sleep when the power button was pressed. Not sure there is a real difference between the low and medium voltage as far as battery life is concerned. although I never ran either long enough for a good comparison

Upvote 0
I will try to answer this:

The way the installer works is you pick your voltage level and then the 5 step speeds. I don't think there is an advantage or disadvantage to running at max or getting one and running slower. when I was running Pete's BB I picked the Low voltage 800MHz Max, but then had to switch to the 800MHz medium Voltage due to not coming out of sleep when the power button was pressed. Not sure there is a real difference between the low and medium voltage as far as battery life is concerned. although I never ran either long enough for a good comparison

Well, at least you attempted.... :)

In any event, I have caught some snippets here and there to the effect of the "voltage doesn't step up until 1100". So now I'm running the max 1000 low voltage. Performance has gone from 10.5 MFLOPS down to about 8.5 MFLOPS, but to be honest, if I get better battery life, it's worth it as it's not noticeable.

Upvote 0
i was running Chevy's 10 slot low voltage, and then his 5 slot low voltage, and now i am running one of Adamz kernels (i'm assuming it's also a low voltage). Chevy's were running very cool, but i think adamz latest kernel runs even cooler.

i am running whatever kernel is in AdamZ (WIP) ese53/2.1 build at 1ghz. it's gotta be a low voltage because it's running even cooler than Chevy's low voltage.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can vouch for AdamZ's low voltage kernels. They're awesome! I ran the 1.2GHz one alongside Pete's BB 0.8 for the longest time, and with JIT enabled. It was steady as a rock.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the CM ROM. But, hopefully bekit's new kernel will have some of the same features. I think people have been trying to get him in contact with AdamZ :D

Upvote 0
I just installed Adamzs SG6 tester and I gotta tell ya... it's right there. The .rom.tgz is a classy and clean way to give full options for the user to choose. Running his LV1.2 with Jit enabled (solid as a rock) and the new Helix 1.1 launcher with all 7 screens filled up... memory is clean showing me 71 to 90 plus free... and Mflops are in the 11.5 to 12.3 range... all day. Been unplugged since I pushed this morning and I've been working it hard all day... battery dropped to about 72%... not bad.... not bad at all.

;)

Upvote 0
I just installed Adamzs SG6 tester and I gotta tell ya... it's right there. The .rom.tgz is a classy and clean way to give full options for the user to choose. Running his LV1.2 with Jit enabled (solid as a rock) and the new Helix 1.1 launcher with all 7 screens filled up... memory is clean showing me 71 to 90 plus free... and Mflops are in the 11.5 to 12.3 range... all day. Been unplugged since I pushed this morning and I've been working it hard all day... battery dropped to about 72%... not bad.... not bad at all.

;)

yup, i'm running it right now as well. it's a sick rom/kernel. silky smooth and fast, and of course looks good like it always does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones