• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How are you all liking your XS?

There are a few drawbacks that are annoyances for me. My specific phone has a locked bootloader that cannot be unlocked. As far as I can see, it seems to be quite arbitrary whether the phone you get has an unlockable bootloader or not.

Also, I already had to get my phone swapped due to the "yellow blotches" screen proble, which was a painful process, took far too long, and saw handled badly by Sony. Now, my replacement phone is getting a yellow tint. I really cannot face going through the Sony repair centre process again, so I'm left with a defective handset.

Also, the ICS update (which took too long to arrive) has left my phone somewhat laggy, so I'm having to either put up with this, or revert to GB. Neither of these options should be necessary on a well QAed phone.

Hopefully, I'm just unlucky. QA and customer service issues aside, it is a good phone, especially if you are not too concerned about being able to carry out functions that require an unlocked bootloader.

Upvote 0
QA and customer service issues aside, it is a good phone, especially if you are not too concerned about being able to carry out functions that require an unlocked bootloader.

Well I am completely new to this technology so I don't even know what bootloader is and which functions are connected with it (I never had a smartphone before) :) so unless I figure this out, I think I will be satisfied with its original functions :)

Upvote 0
I have to say that I love the phone, but dislike the apparent lack of interest by Sony in supporting their "flagship" product.
I also am totally frustrated by the Sony PC Companion (PCC). After many attempts to get PCC to actually recognise my phone - and failing probably 90% of the time - I've now gone over to a really superb piece of software called MyPhoneExplorer. I recommend it to anyone.
So, allowing the massive problems people seem to be experiencing with yellow screens, overheating, ICS bugs etc., etc., I look forward to Sony fixing all the problems, getting the PC software stable (and useful!), and supporting us users properly. Jelly Bean anyone?

Upvote 0
You can unlock the bootloader for some xperia s hansets, check out the third thread on the Xperia S Android Development section on xda. I would like to buy one. How can i find out if i can unlock the bootloader before buying the phone?

Whilst your checking the phone before you buy it in the shop just type into the dialer *#*#7378423#*#* to enter the service menu and then go into service info, configuration and see if it says bootloader unlock allowed or yes, if it says no then you can't.

Upvote 0
I'm also planning on changing my phone in a month or so. Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace which I think is good for the price.

I'm not planning on rooting a phone (I don't want to loose the warranty), and so far I think this is a very good value for the money.

I also had an Galaxy Ace, then bought an SXS. After looking for a few hours at SXS, Ace will look of very low res though at the time of buying I remember it looked to be very crisp. But I still believe Samsung has designed their software well, than Sony.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones