How are you backint up data?General

Last Updated: 2013-03-29 13:31:46
  1. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member

I'm considering the Nexus 4 and using it on Straight Talk. I've never owned a smart phone without an SD slot and am concerned about losing data. I'm wondering how you are all currently backing up your pics, music, vids, etc without a slot. This is the only thing keeping me from going ahead with this. I see that many of the newer phones are leaving off the SD slot so I know you users must have a handy alternative. :)

Advertisement
  2. ooberandy

ooberandy Well-Known Member

I use dropbox to backup up pics and vids. There's an option to auto upload those (I have mine set to just over wifi).

For music I use deezer to stream music and google music for my own music. Just upload your music to google music then it'll be available on whatever device you like.
  3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Copies in both Dropbox and Google Drive using FolderSync to automate backups. These in turn auto-sync to my home Linux box. Also the built-in Google backup. IOW multiple copies of stuff in several locations.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Tasker controlled Foldersync backup to my main server while I sleep.
  5. runtmms

runtmms Well-Known Member

I love dropbox. But I also use box now. I don't know if it's still available but they were giving free 50GB accounts to Nexus 4 owners. All I had to do was set up an account and access it through their app on my Nexus 4.
  6. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. So, what I'm hearing is the Nexus is worth it even without the SD slot because of the backup options. Correct?
  7. ooberandy

ooberandy Well-Known Member

Yes.

I think it's a great phone and storage isn't an issue for me
  8. Kwala

Kwala Active Member

Pictures - Instant Upload
    Apps Data Backups - DropBox

No need to backup anything else.
  9. paroots

paroots Well-Known Member

I have the Galaxy Nexus which doesn't include a removable SD card either.

I've tried both FolderSync and Titanium Media Sync (TMS). I use a one-way sync from phone to PC via FTP. Here are some pros and cons of each:
    FolderSync Pros:

• maintains timestamp of file
    FolderSync Cons:

• overwrites files that haven't changed on phone
    • no support
    • instant sync feature doesn't work
    TMS Pros:

• syncs efficiently and accurately
    TMS Cons:

• doesn't maintain timestamps
    • can't sync to both laptops simultaneously
    • no support
    Since the issue of FolderSync repeatably uploading files to PC that haven't changed is intolerable, I've disqualified it. The cons of TMS are not nearly as serious so I continue to use it and overall am quite satisfied with it. I would rate FolderSync a 1 and TMS a 4 on a scale of 1-5. Hope that helps.
    Pete
  10. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

I've long used FolderSync for Dropbox and Google Drive. Terrific app.

*It never overwrites unchanged files.
    *Can't comment on support. I've never had a problem.
    *Instant upload works perfectly.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  11. paroots

paroots Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm using FTP running as server on Windows 7 PC. TMS backs up to it perfectly so I know the PC side is operational. It would be nice if it were an operator error, but can't think of anything to change within FolderSync to correct the overwrite or instant sync issues. BTW, it doesn't overwrite all files, only a fair fraction of them. So why would it do that? Can't think of any reason besides a bug. I've even sent a log to the developer and posted the log in the forum, but no response from either. BTW, others have posted the same issue to the forum recently.
    Pete