How are you using the Moto 360

Last Updated:

1. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I don't wear watches, and I don't typically have a personal interest in Android wearables - but this watch looks like something I'd use. Especially this one:

[​IMG]

I mean, honestly I have no real interest in having notifications go to my wrist, but that watch looks sweet and it could be cool!

Our buddy Rob has asked in the LG G Watch forum what the specs are for that - but I wonder - do specs even matter with stuff like this?

HD display on my one inch diameter watch. Little bit of RAM to hold notifications?

Umm..well, battery life!

So yes with that said, I wonder what battery life with this might be like? I wouldn't mind a watch, but if I had to charge it every night or every few nights, I might want it less..

Advertisement
    DonB likes this.
  2. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Is it me or does the Moto 360 look more like a watch than any other smartwatch previously released? I'm not saying that's a good thing or bad thing, but it's certainly refreshing.

I'm guessing the Moto 360 gets its name from the 360 degrees of a clock and circular design... do you like it?

Lots of Moto 360 pictures here:
    Moto 360 Android watch officially announced

I just looked at those for 5 minutes... holy WOW it looks sexy IMO.

Oh my GOD that looks heavenly. It actually looks like a real watch!

I'm going to guess that the watch face is something you can select, similar to choosing a wallpaper, custom lock screens, or widgets.

I'd buy one of these for sure... probably pay up to $300, depending on features and functionality.
  3. Phases

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It does look amazing. I'll be keeping an eye on this

I think you nailed it phaser- battery life would be my main concern.

Another difference maker may be sensors. Who knows what they'll toss in.
    jroc likes this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

Finally, a smart watch that doesn't look like I'm wearing a miniature phone on my wrist. I'll have to see the profile when it is released, but I'm interested.
  6. Mittar

Mittar Well-Known Member

I think if it gets a long day or two days(20-40 hours), I would definitely still want it. I don't think I'd want to wear it to bed anyway as I'm not used to wearing a watch. So if I'm going to take it off, I may as well charge it.
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I get about 2.5 - 3 days out of my Sony SW2.

Specs wise, I don't really care. It's a watch, it's handy to make calls when I'm on my bike/in the gym etc so as long as it does that, I'm not fussed about RAM/screen resolution or whatever. :)
    jroc likes this.
  8. Cogra147

Cogra147 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, Since its android based, someone is going to exploit it... And when they do... There will be all sorts of stuff to do with it. :cool:
  9. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

With the pics currently available, the Moto 360 looks the best of all the smartwatch offerings. That said, I won't really judge until I see all the Android wear offerings. But, if I were to choose right now, I like this offering the best.

While, I don't mind the Galaxy Gear I bought for 1/2 price at Best Buy (deal of the day), I am still keeping many options open and the form factor on the Moto 360 is the best aesthetically looking of all of them.

It's weird. I thought the same about the Galaxy Gear, prior to purchasing one, but now that I've been using it every day, it's not as bad as I thought. Can't see this one being any thicker. And on some of the videos, it actually looks way less obtrusive than the LG watch.
  10. Damian Adelle

Damian Adelle Member

It does looks like a classic watch, but as all other smartwatches, I would be more interested in possible media they could play (image, music, video?), it's a shame that all these devices require Wi-Fi connection almost all the time nowadays just like tablets and smartphones do.
    You know what would be a cool watch?, maybe a special edition of some kind, that looked exactly like the 007 watch from Goldeneye. If these smartwatches can display GPS directions now, perhaps in a couple of decades, they could display your overall health too?

[​IMG]
  11. Phases

You got me there ;)

Well seeings how the display is really just a wallpaper (according to rob's take on it) I'm sure all sorts of options will become available.
  12. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Seems Moto is on the right track with this watch. So much praise for just the looks. It has the internet taking notice.

There was an article about should Apple be afraid....Their conclusion was they shouldnt be. I said just on looks alone they should be.

This would be the first time I am actually interested in a smart watch.
  13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

i just saw this video and was wondering what watch they were showing.......it looks really cool and the things it can do on a round face is amazing:
  14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Not the typical specs like processor speed and ram matter as much but a couple specs matter (I have noticed being a pebble user)

- Battery Life.
    - Bluetooth LE (presumably) or what other type of connectivity they add.
    - Screen type (AMOLED, E-ink, LCD, and if it is touchable).
    - How quickly and easily it charges (pebble uses a magnet pogo pin type thing, which is nice for being a magnet, but bad that it is proprietary).
    - Ergonomics / buttons / responsiveness (though these arent really specs).

From a dev standpoint:
    - Message size / SDK / API ?
    - Pixel dimensions of the screen
  15. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

This is my first post on the forums in a long time... Wow...

Anyway, I have already determined I am getting a 360 no matter what. But, what will ultimately help me determine if I keep it are pretty simple. Battery life, usability in sunlight, and UI. Specs on something this small and non-intensive (I mean, it's just notification mirroring.) can be anything honestly. I am very excited to see how Android Wear as a whole grows over the next year, and hope to see some great new products built on it.

The 360 appealed to me over other smartwatches for one main reason; The shape. I've been waiting for a smartwatch that looks like a watch forever now.
  16. jamielov

jamielov Well-Known Member

Sort of a general discussion for newbies like myself. Obviously the looks of the 360 are amazing. But what else can it do? I've read the specs, know it may have a heart monitor, but what makes a smart watch worth owning?

Will its capabilities be able to expand with updates? Does my phone always need to be near it to work? From images it looks like it can tell me I have texts or emails? Can I clear emails from the watch or does it just notify? Possibly GPS? What else am I missing?

Sorry, probably just newbie questions, but all I can find are the specs and not actually what the watch does.
  17. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

What it will do I'm looking forward to is email and text message notification. We've seen it display texts, and hopefully you'll be able to read emails too. I work in a weird place that's very fussy about you looking at your cell phone... this will bypass that. I'm hoping that eventually an app like SwiftKey will enable at least some rudimentary replies via the device without having to pull out your phone.

I also like the fact that you will be able to control Google Player via the device. I believe that was demoed at the I/O.

Unless there's a radical change from the LG G watch et. al. we will not be able to take phone calls via the watch, beyond "answer/decline." I find that curious, you'd think that would be a rather easy thing to pull off. It is just another Bluetooth device. Routing voice through it shouldn't be a big deal.

Part of what makes me excited for this is to see what the developers come up with. Uses that we haven't even thought of yet. I mentioned SwiftKey. What about Nova? A crazy customizable launcher. Games. A Zen app that lets you know when your heart rate goes above a certain threshold letting you know it's time to calm down. LOL. Who knows???
  18. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I have a very hectic life ( somebody LIED about this whole "relax during retirement" thing :p ), and I bet I'm whipping my phone out of its belt holster 50 times a day. If not more. From checking what time it is to seeing what's next on my calendar to who's calling me NOW, the ability of a super-sexy and stylish watch that tells me those things right on my wrist will save me considerable time & effort.

I'll get all those notifications and then some... but even better: I can navigate, set reminders, send replies and - OMG - it even tells me what time it is???

I will be at the store when it opens. Moto, hurry up and TAKE MY MONEY!

:D
  19. Outatime

If it's announced on the 4th and available on the 5th I will take the morning of the 5th off to be at the store when it opens :)
  20. Outatime

That was a pleasant surprise for me too. I thought you could only have one BT connection at a time. People over on the LG G forums are talking about their watches being connected while they're using a car/headphone interface at the same time. Love it.

September 4th is only 12 days away :D
  21. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I can dual connect with the Gear 1 also. During the day, while at work, I have a Sony MW1 Smart Wireless Headset Pro connected at the same time as the Gear. On the road, I have a Plantronics Legend Pro connected at the same time as the gear. Initially, I had problems with the BT only being sent to my gear, but haven't run into that issue ever since (I think it was an initial update that fixed it).

Nonetheless, if the 360 allows dual BT connection, just like my Gear, I'll be happy. The other thing I'll be happy about is if it'll transmit my emails, since my Gear forced a new update that doesn't allow me to view my important emails at a glance.
  22. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to think the 360 can be used without being connected to a phone? Just tell time, track steps, etc. Basic stuff. Could it do anything else?

Ya know, let's say someone wanted to save battery, or just wanted to be with a watch, and without a phone at some point...
  23. cuisinart

cuisinart Member

I'd like to know this, also. Without connecting it to a phone, can I load a custom watchface and hands, and use basic features like the heart rate monitor and pedometer? I have a btle dongle for my PC.
  24. drkrishall

drkrishall Active Member

The very first screen you see at initial boot up is : "download android wear app on your phone"

I didn't see any obvious way around this screen other than downloading app and connecting via Bluetooth.

Now with that being said the watch does have an airplane mode. Which means the phone is disconnected from your phone and it still functions as a watch. Not sure what else it does/doesn't do because I only put in airplane mode for ~1 minute...

Hope this helps!
  25. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

Do you think you (or anyone) could investigate a bit deeper and report what it can or can't do in airplane mode, or what would happen if you simply turn off your phone's Bluetooth?