How bad did AT&T cripple the Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Seeing lots of stuff about the phone here, and the one thread about deleting bloatware from the phone, but how much bloatware is there? And is Android crippled or anything downgraded in any way like the other AT&T Android phones have been so far? I REALLY want to get off my iPhone and onto Android, and if I can stay with AT&T to keep my unlimited data plan, that would be awesome! BUT I won't stay with AT&T if they purposely cripple the phones so they won't compete with Apple. So, anyone who has used/owned another high-level Android phone (Incredible, Evo, Nexus One, something like that), how is the Android experience on the Captivate? My wife wants to upgrade from her crappy LG CU400 dumb flip phone, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think my iPhone might be more her speed, but if I transfer that to her, maybe I can move up to something like the Captivate! As long as the GPS issues get fixed, anyways. That's a deal breaker for me.

Advertisement
  2. linuxdood

linuxdood Well-Known Member

bloatware doesn't bother me. Theres 16GB of internal storage and I don't fire up AT&T apps normally. Non market support bothers me. ADB is not working under ubuntu. Join the AT&T stepchildren here:
    The Android Stepchildren of AT&T | Facebook

3. YellowGT0

YellowGT0 Well-Known Member

The only crippling I have seen is the lack of the FM radio player. But the hardware is still in the forum. Once the software is released you will be able to use the FM player again.

4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So the Android experience isn't compromised on the Captivate like it was on the Backflip? I sure hope that's true, I want AT&T to get some good Android phones!

5. Duck Tales LOL

Duck Tales LOL Well-Known Member

The only thing I see crippled really is the ability to install non market apps. But that is easily fixable.

Why don't you visit a store and play with it. :)

I promise you, the Backflip and Captivate are night and day different.

6. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

2g toggle is missing, and Network Operators is gimped on a locked phone, we'll see if it clears up when it's unlocked.

7. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

There's a thread for how to rooth the phone, how to delete many of the AT&T apps, and a thread for how to re-enable non-market apps. It's not crippled.

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

More like, it's not "un-cripple-able". ;)

It's definitely crippled... but the things aren't huge and there are ways to work around them for those who care.