How bad is auto brightness on the battery?

Last Updated:

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have a battery savings profile on Setting Profiles and I have the screen set at around 25%. Problem is that in the sun I have a very hard time seeing the screen. I set it on auto brightness just now (which I like the best), but how bad is it for the battery life from day to day?
    Nick

Advertisement
  2. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member

I am not a very "hardcore" user so my input might not be what you are looking for, but I find no problem lasting all day with auto brightness on.

Usually by 8-9pm I am around 50%-60% remaining. I take my phone off the charger at 7:00am

3. SLDroid

SLDroid Member

I used auto brightness exclusively, but on heavy use days my battery would not make it through the day. Now I set it at 25% and the difference on battery use much better. So, auto brightness does have a great impact on the battery.

4. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

There is a "power widget" you can install (in your widgets list) that is awesome. This allows you to quickly set your brightness level to max (if you're viewing pics outside, or just want to show off your screen res) and then quickly reset it to auto or minimum without having to navigate through your menu system. Using it will help you minimize battery drain, and will enable you to easily boast the glory of your Droid res when you need to. It's one of my favorite widgets.

5. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

Maybe one day someone will insert an ammeter and voltmeter between the battery and phone terminals and record the current drain and voltage drop while using various power-sucking options (Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, various levels of screen brightness). One day, I may even try to runthis test myself, but it does require fiddling with a very narrow (1 mm?) strip of a double-sided adhesive tape with two thin copper foil strips on both sides that should be inserted between both positive and negative contacts.

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I have never turned off auto-brightness and have also noticed superior battery performance with the 2.1 build. I see no reason to turn it off, as I routinely have at least 60% charge left at the end of the day when it goes back into the dock.

7. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

You got the update??? I'm so jealous. I want the update... NOW!!!!! :D

8. dren

dren Well-Known Member

^^ @djkeller3: Probably rooted lol

I use auto brightness and I have a good lasting battery. I go from about 8AM (take off the charger from previous night) and I go til' about midnight when I go to bed and I have about 40% battery left.

9. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

I have it at around 25 percent also. I have been doing a test since i had this weekend and yesterday off. I am using gtalk ofcourse making calls and some games like my homerun and blowup. Very little to moderate use like normal people would do. No gps or location service being used. It says 3days and 3hours(30 percent) since unplugged. So to answer you question yes auto brightness makes a big difference in killing your battery. If you are rooted i suggest using led hack( go to settings before hitting led off to make sure top led is unchecked) this will turn off you lights on the bottom during the day since its soo bright outside you can see them anyhows. Also i use keyboard backlight off during the day. At night i reactivate all of them.

Just in case i'm called a liar again
    CAP201003231135.jpg

10. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

When you use the power widget to adjust brightness, in my experience, it kills the auto brightness setting. You have to navigate through the settings to turn it back on, which is annoying.

That said, you will likely see an improvement in battery life if you can manage to maintain a low brightness setting. However, I've never had a problem with battery life on auto--and it's a really nice feature to have enabled.

If you want to go even more extreme, you should check out (either spare parts or quick settings, forget which one), it lowers the minimum brightness level below stock system settings

11. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use the power widget, and I am glad to see good battery life with the auto.
    The only thing is that I think there are 3 settings for the brightness, low, med, high and IDK which one brings it back to auto brightness.
    Nick

12. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

That's one odd thing about this phone. If you're inside, it's freaking bright and clear even with the brightness set fairly low. But as soon as you're outside with the sun and glare, it is very difficult to see the screen even at full brightness. That's one of my few annoyances with the Droid.