How bad is Bing and Touchwiz?

Last Updated:

1. redraptor

redraptor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so ive been deciding on phones for about a month or so now and have done NOTHING but research almost 24/7 and was all over the Incredible. It seems like a VERY good phone, but now I'm a bit torn...again...The Fascinate is out now and im mildly curious about how bad Bing and touchwiz REALLY is. I hear a lot of hoopla about how its awful and you should avoid it like crazy, but I dont know how much of that is just "new phone hate" or how sound that criticism is. I would MUCH rather stay with Google and Sense, but I cant escape the feeling that I might be making a mistake choosing the older phone over the newer fascinate. Really my biggest features I want out of this phone is a good phone, capable browser (I like me some internetz), decent camera/video, music player and GPS navigation. Thanks guys! :D

Keep in mind im coming from an LG Dare so even the lowest Android phones would be a HUGE upgrade.

Advertisement
  2. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

The incredible is an old phone? Stop the "phone" so to speak. Is that what the world is coming to, old is only a few months now? You crazy ;).

Anyway. Bing is okay but nothing like Google. Make the smart choice.

3. Ridley

Ridley Active Member

Get the Incredible. It is by far the best phone with Verizon to date.

4. redraptor

Sorry I never meant old in a bad way, just old"er". The only real reason I say that is because technology moves SO fast that within a year's time, these phones are phased out and overtaken by more powerful ones.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Very bad.

6. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

I have no problem with touchwiz 3.0 but to honest don't really care about the look of the interface much, so long as it's quick, it's easy to navigate and looks decent I'm happy, and touchwiz 3.0 ticks all these boxes for me.

btw, I don't like sense that much, I think it's overrated.

7. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

The Bing search engine is powered by a giant kitten furnace this hidden deep under the Microsoft campus. Dozens of Microsoft interns spend grueling 12 hour shifts shoveling cute kittens into the flames just so people can check to see who got eliminated by American Idol. You don't want to support that, use Google.

AndroidSPCS and marefin like this.
  8. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Never used touchwiz...but went from Inc to DX and did not like MotoWhatever much at all. However, after use and customizing it, it's all good now. Maybe some time on wiz will make it better. People don't like "different" till they give it a try.

9. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

I actually like certain aspects in Touchwiz a lot. I put Launcher Pro on my Captivate but the TW Contacts, Dialer, Messagers, Pull down bar are all great I think.

There is more to Touchwiz than just the initial Homepage UI.

10. beenz

beenz Well-Known Member

I think people are making a bigger deal than it is worth about Bing search and Bing maps. You can install Google Maps and use that GPS service if you want.

As far as the Bing search, I have never used the search button on my phone and always use Google.com in the browser. Once Froyo is released for it, Google search will be back

And the Fascinate is already rooted, so just install Google search that way if you really need it.

However, I hate how Bing is the default and ONLY search there is for now, based on principal.

As far as Touchwiz, you can always install a 3rd party launcher (like ADW or LauncherPro like qwertyass did). I was skeptical about these at first, and used to like Sense. Now I can't stand Sense and absolutely love LauncherPro.

11. redraptor

Hmmm Still a bit torn, I have another week until I have the opportunity to upgrade and I want to make sure I get a phone that is going to last me a good 2 years (I would prefer one year...but ehhhhh). Again I can't help but feel like the incredible is going to be phased out by the end of the year and left in the dust. The biggest thing holding me back is touchwiz. Ive fallen for Sense from the in store models and am a bit scared touchwiz or any other launcher will stack up.

Again after doing some thinking, I want to make sure I get into a phone that will be good for a good couple years, not just the next 6 months.

12. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

I thought I didn't like touchwiz. Then I went to the store and actually used it and now it is my fave ui of the bunch. Motos is stupid and ugly. Sense is good, but the bar at the bottom doesn't look sleek, to me it looks dated. With google coming in 2.2 I would go for the fascinate. The incredble would be a good second choice. The x/2 are the red headed step childrem og the bunch imo

13. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

I have a D2 and I downloaded Bing just to try it out. I uninstalled it within a day or so. It sucks just as bad as the desktop Bing does. I really don't see the point of having an Android phone if Google is not the default search engine. And I do use the one touch key to search all of the time. Why wouldn't I?

14. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

I used touchwiz for about 2 months on my Captivate, and to be honest. I liked it, but it irked me quite a bit with some features it has. Such as the application scrolling screen, the bottom dock has four icons and you scroll either left to right, or right to left. Sound familiar? *cough* iPhone *cough*.

Anyway I had heard about Launcher Pro being so popular and give it a try a couple days ago, I was sold. Might go back to touchwiz sometime if Samsung adds some to die for features to it, but other than that. I don't see my self coming off of Launcher Pro Plus or any other custom launcher.