how bad is it to leave a phone on the charger overnight?

Last Updated:

1. lionrain

lionrain Well-Known Member

I have heard so much conflicting information about batteries on the internet and abroad. how bad is it really to leave my phone on the charger overnight? I've tried charging before bed but it can be difficult sometimes...

Advertisement
  2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

With modern lithium batteries it's not an issue at all, all batteries have a microchip built in to prevent over charging and also to prevent charging if the voltage level is too low to prevent the risk of fire. Older nickel based batteries suffered from a memory effect if left trickle charging. You can leave your battery attached to the charger 24/7 with no adverse effects.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Ywp, what overbyter says :)

I leave mine on charge overnight all the time.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Typically with new age batteries anyhow you can leave them on charge for 20minutes and they'll be full charge, so if you are worried, you can, like me, put it on charge when you get up before you leave for like work. My morning routine of shower & breakfast takes about 20minutes, and my phone is always at 100% right when i leave :)
  5. lionrain

That is actually a pretty good idea. Thanks! But what do you do if your phone is about to die, the night before? Do you let it run down?
    Is there any capacity lost though?
  6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

No. At least not any significant amount. All Li-Ion batteries will eventually lose the ability to hold a charge after so many charge cycles. But the number is several hundred times before it noticeably degrades.
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I always charge my phone overnight.
  8. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Typically my phone's regular battery runs to about 30% from 7am to 11pm...i let it sit there all night on my bedstand and by the morning it is around 23% or so...from 7am-7:20 or 7:30am i let it charge, typically it is right around 100% when i pick it up, unplug it, and leave for work :)

If your device does not run down from one day, keep using it, charge it at work, i know i have an extra charger there.
  9. lionrain

Oh okay, thanks!
  10. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Very useful info here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

It's technical but basically states its fine to leave the battery on the charger and you should basically ignore the battery info that comes with the phone. :p
  11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

it is mostly correct that the damage by over night charge is soo small it is.. not really important. so it is OK.. do plug in at night.

but there is a very very very small reductions of battery life, when you plug in all night.
    it is constantly charging up to full..then stop
    let your phone drop a few percentage... then start charging again.
    this may happen 2 - 5 times that night. (so not that much)

how long do you plan to have that phone? maybe 2 yrs.. worst 3 yrs?
    over a 2 yr period.. it aint much!
  12. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I have left every cell phone I have ever owned charging at night (granted with old dumb phones sometimes it would go 2-3 days without charging) for the last 11 years. I've never had a problem. Based on my personal experience, I am going to keep doing it.
  13. lionrain

haha okay, I guess I will continue to charge all night.
  14. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

If my droid in my pocket all day, when the •••• am I supposed to charge it? Run a cord up my leg?
  15. AustinTech

AustinTech Well-Known Member

Ezduzit08 likes this.
  16. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

How does a phone go from 20% to 100% in a half hour?? I'm happy with my S2's daily life (standby isn't so great, oddly) and it charges fast enough but it sure doesn't do that.
  17. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

There's absolutely NO damage done to a Li-Ion battery left attached to the charger for 24/7. None. :banghead:
  18. Same here. For the last 17 years! With a twist though:
    I use the express charger for express charging! Duh! I.e. when my battery needs topping up fast, i.e. during waking hours when the level has gone down too fast.
    This is rarely the case. Maybe once a month. Possibly because of my (re-)charging regimen:

Overnight I always charge my devices via USB cable on my laptop, i.e. 'trickle charge'. The slower the better. And they are also hooked up via USB cable when in the office for any length of time. Or in the car!

I SMS a lot with the free app MySMS, straight from my laptop or desktop, with a nice big screen and a comfortable fullsize keyboard, when the device is hooked up to it anyway.
  19. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

I've never left my phone to charge overnight, i've never needed too. :)
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

You may believe that if you wish
  21. LeoRexus

LeoRexus Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Either the battery is a wee one or that's one hell of a charger.
  22. Oh my, that's really bad, if you'd ask me. It could practically cause fire.
  23. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

If you buy normal market batteries, they have a safety circuit built-in, it's fine.

Or the battery is shot.