How bad is swype on Froyo 2.2? Is it a dealbreaker?General

Last Updated:

1. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone

Currently I am using Stock ROM Eclair 2.1 and was eagerly waiting for Froyo 2.2. Now it seems that Froyo is released for my country but I have read some threads in this forum saying swype has gone worse in the latest update.

Now the most important use of Froyo for me would be Flash support and on 2.1 I use Swype only for typing. So how bad really is swype on 2.2? Is it a deal breaker? Should I wait for sometime to see if an update is released? Regards

PS: I can get a way out through rooting but havent done that ever till now so wouldnt prefer it.

Regards

Advertisement
  2. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

I found Swype post-Froyo to be far worse than it's predecessor. I find word predictions to be way off, quite often I find Swype autocorrecting something I type to someone in my contacts. There's a nasty tip box that appears right in your face whenever the software detects a hidden word. I've no idea what this means nor do I know how to switch it off. When typing something when browsing (eg emails, forums etc) with 2.1, I used to slant the phone to landscape, and make use of the full-screened text input. Now, they've decided to embed the input box into the webpage which I find incredibly annoying. If the website is loaded with lots of flash, this can at times be laggy.

However, Froyo is still a far superior firmware version than Eclair so I still recommend upgrading. Swype is just an unfortunate niggle I hope is fixed through time.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, others' opinions may differ :)

goyal.sanchit likes this.
  3. Enthrall

Enthrall Active Member

I agree with Ryan that Swype's word-prediction has gone for a toss, although usage over a few days will get it back in shape, predicting the words you mostly use once again.

That 'Tips' window keeps telling you that there were multiple word options available for the combination of letters that you swiped over, and that the word that you chose, was hidden in the next menu of the word options.
    For example - type a word "Test". Double tap it. A list of words pops up, with a "Next" arrow indicator at the bottom. Tap that arrow. You'll get more word predictions. That's where your 'hidden' words are.

However, this definitely isn't a deal breaker and I would also recommend you to upgrade. I've made a short list of differences that come with it:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...-ddjp6-brings-about-galaxy-s.html#post1937040

rynlpin and goyal.sanchit like this.
  4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

5. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess then I would then update to Froyo whnever I have a bit of free time.

6. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining this, I keep unticking the 'enable tip box' in settings but the wretched thing insists on returning.

7. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

this an other thing Samsung have messed up they install a beta on our phones and can't update it only if you root your phone