How bad is the Orange branding?

Last Updated:

1. hamacting

hamacting Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been having a read, and a few people here seem to find the Orange branding somewhat intrusive.

So, how bad is it?

I have a Desire scheduled to arrive on Friday from Orange (their

Advertisement
  2. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

Branding is waaaaaaay over the top, unlike the Hero which was just the bootup screen, the Desire has been turned into a Orange mush - so apps and widgets have been customised by them, and they have removed GTalk!!! They even have their own messenger program and app store!

It suprised me how much they have done... But its possible to debrand, will be doing so myself at the weekend...

3. RedChris13

RedChris13 Member

My Orange Desire arrived today and to be honest I think people are going a bit over the top, it's really not bad at all. I was expecting it to be terrible like yourself after reading some posts on here but it's not.

There is a tiny Orange logo on the back of the phone.
    You get an Orange logo at bootup.
    You get some Orange shortcuts on the desktop which you can delete.
    They have removed GTalk which you can reinstall.

The only niggle is there are some links to demos which at the moment cannot be deleted but they are only in your tray anyway, I believe once it's rooted anyway which should be fairly soon you will be able to get rid of these?

4. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Got my Desire on Orange from mobiles.co.uk - no branding at all. In fact, the handset is unlocked.

5. gingkoleaf

gingkoleaf Member

I am on Orange France and my HTC Desire switched immediately to the generic HTC Sense UI when I opted for the English interface language during setup.

But, Orange has its own Scene on the device and what irks me the most is that all the Orange-branded channels are there to make money - Orange Ringtones, Photos, Apps, Maps, Messenger, IpTV and Games. Photos, for example, gets me online and "offers" me to buy a photo of the Eiffel Tower for €3.99. All apps and games in their channel are pay-for and so are all ringtones. It is a bit too much in-your-face money-grabbing, in my opinion.

But, if you don't use the Orange scene you can ignore most of the Orange customization but you cannot simply uninstall the stuff, not even the four demo games they included. So, yes, more annoying than anything else.

6. hamacting

hamacting Active Member This Topic's Starter

Sounds as if I can live with it...

Many thanks,

regards,
    /alan

7. AtsukoPanda

AtsukoPanda Member

I'm on orange, and besides the few demos etc which you can't uninstall, you can pretty much remove all the other orange crap off your homescreen. It doesn't bother me at all :)

Also although the internet browser is originally 'orange home' , you can change the home url - so when you open it up it doesn't go to orange world. So unless you particularly hate the orange style of icons (in which case you could remove the orange internet browser off your homescreen and load a short cut to Opera etc) its not a major problem at all.

:)

8. Newth

Newth Well-Known Member

I have no major issues. A few apps you can't delete & that's about it.

I've heard rumours the handset is slower, but mine seems as fast my girlfriends non-orange unit.

9. AtsukoPanda

AtsukoPanda Member

Yup, mine is pretty damn speedy too! Any quicker and I couldn't keep up with it.