1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How big is too big for a phone???

1. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Advertisement
    :
  2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

I don't know about size, but my first cellphone weighed 30 pounds. That might not sound like a lot, but try hand-carrying that for a few city blocks!
  3. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

30 pounds?
  4. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

What is the point of an 8' tablet having phone capabilities ? :hmmmm:

To the question at hand: For me anything over the overall size of the Note 2 is going to be too big. The Note 2 is the perfect size for me, I just hope Samsung doesn't ruin the Note phone/phablet line by increasing the size of the device when they roll out the Note 3, Note 4, etc.etc. If they do I'll probably pick up the Galaxy S4 or wait for the S5, depending on when they announce the Note 3 specs.
  5. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

Pretty much agree, i think the big players in the phone world are getting to the point where an everyday smartphone will average about a 5 inch screen.

For instance, samsung S2, 4.2 inch screen, S3, 4.8, but the S4 is heavily rumored to be 5 inch (4.99) sure the note series might go slightly higher, but the devices are designed with different uses in mind to a degree, hence the note with the stylus and the S series without. Of course, with a note type device using a stylus, you are more likely to need a bit more screen to make vetted use of the device.
  6. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

So that Galaxy Note 8 is a phone?
  7. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

i think so. im not sure why anyone would want an 8" phone tho... it says it has phone capabilities so im not really sure exactly what that means ether... on the surface it seems that yes it is a phone.
  8. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] :thumb: From the article in the original post.
  9. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

In my humble opinion, that is a tiny tablet with benefits.:p
  10. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

I like the idea of a tablet with phone cababilities nothing i'm going to hold to my ear but put it on speaker phone and bam I'm good to Surf my favorite hangout and chat all on one device with a screen big enough for these old eyes to see.
  11. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

You could use Bluetooth to talk on the 8" tablet, but would someone really want to add another line to their plan for that? Surely not many people would want to carry a tablet around as their main phone.
  12. XplosiV

Something like the note 8 would make for a great multi use device in a vehicle imo. Capable of calls, sat nav, bluetooth etc with a decent sized screen.
  13. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

30 pounds? Are you sure? A 3 year old child weighs roughly 30 pounds.

2 or 3 pounds maybe, but not 30 hehe.
    Bob Maxey likes this.
  14. XplosiV

Really not?

[​IMG]
    Speed Daemon likes this.
  15. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

For, me, I think anything bigger than the GS3 is too big. And honestly, the GS3 is pushing it a little for my smallish hands. I love the screen, but have trouble one-handing it, and for me, that makes the difference between good size and too big.
  16. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

My current gs2 screen size is perfect for me, but I've got a gs3 on the way in the next day or so.

Doubt I'll have any complaints though :D

Don't think I could handle moving up to a note 2 though, just seems too big for me.

Note 8? Yeah 8" is entirely too big for a phone if you want to call it that.
  17. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

I think if they create a Bluetooth device that can sync with the note 8..
    Like a mini phone

That might be interesting
    sleedeane likes this.
  18. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

It could be, but imagine the funny looks you'll be getting if you didn't have a bluetooth device for it :eek: lol
  19. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

My question is will there be a Note 3... If the "8 tablet doubles as a phone why would Samsung continue the phablet phenomenon? Tablet phones have arrived now.
  20. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

I think it is a typo. That said, I dimly recall the radio telephones (not a cell, no such thing way back then) that took up lots of space. There was a receiver section and a transmitter section. Expensive calls, I must say.

Chances are, he never had one of those beasts is my guess.
  21. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

The spec sheet said 30 pounds, and after carrying it, I had no reason to question if the number was too high. This Italian-styled beauty from Radio Shack (c.1986) featured a generous lead-acid battery pack that weighed...pretty close to 30 pounds.

My next one, a Panasonic that took the very same battery packs that our camcorders did, weighed a lot less, but more than 2-3 pounds. My first handheld cellphone weighed 3 pounds!
  22. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

SD, you were just a sucker, my first mobile phone was extremely lightweight!;):p:D

[​IMG]
    argedion likes this.
  23. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

If that counts as a "mobile phone", then my first rig, a pair of cheap Part 15 CB radios at 100mW on channel 14, worked a lot better, and could work around corners. So there! :aetsch::call2::hahaha:
    SamuraiBigEd and argedion like this.
  24. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it!

It's so ridiculous that I would have to get one. In fact I hope they sell a holster so I could attach it to my belt. And yes, I would make phone calls on it like the photo above because I think it would be hilarious.

Please Samsung, keep on going overboard with the screen sizes- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 phablet anybody?

You say it would be too big to hold with one hand?

[​IMG]
    Problem solved.
  25. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Well... A 6inch phone could be seen as a tablet that can text.....? Although I agree the Note 2 is about the limit where it just becomes too big.