• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I add shortcuts to options in settings

mlk2

Jul 13, 2012
Hi, was just windering. I updated my phone via kies to 4.04 and now i cant find how to add shortcuts to various options in my settings menu. For example, I had a shortcut to wifi sharing on my homescreen before but now with the update I cant find how to add them. I hope the option is still there and Im just blind.

I use Widgetsoid to create a bar of useful icons on my home screen. Some are also in the notification window but you can do loads. Rescan Media and Wifi hotspot are 2 very useful ones but the quick screen brightness I find handy after they removed the notification bar swipe functionality during the ICS upgrade.:
MyPhone3.png
http://stuff.robfisk.com/MyPhone3.png

Upvote 0
If you want a shortcut to the settings page, you can
long press an empty spot on your home screen > under 'add to home', press "shortcuts" > press "setting shortcuts" > and press "Tethering and portable hotspot"

Hey, this is how I had before I upgraded to the latest 4.04 where everything looks like on S3, but now when I do this I don't get the shortcut option.

When I press the empty spot I get the following: (translating from swedish so not sure its 100% accurate)

Homepage
Set Background
(Add to homepage)
Program and widgets
Folder
Page

No shortcut at all.

Upvote 0
Hey, this is how I had before I upgraded to the latest 4.04 where everything looks like on S3, but now when I do this I don't get the shortcut option.

When I press the empty spot I get the following: (translating from swedish so not sure its 100% accurate)

Homepage
Set Background
(Add to homepage)
Program and widgets
Folder
Page

No shortcut at all.

That's strange. Are you using the stock launcher?

Upvote 0
Aye, long press on empty on stock launcher should give:

Widgets | Shortcuts
-------------------
Folders | Walpapers

Even adding the shortcut to the settings though it then opens it up and you still have to press enable.

Seriously, try out widgetsoid. Here's one I just threw together as an example in under a minute:
widgetsoidexample1.png

One touch enable/disable of Portable Hotspot, USB tethering, GPS and flashlight. You can add as many as you want in a widget anything from 1x1 to 1x5 in either direction. You can save multiple widget profiles. Coulor scheme is fully editable down to transparency level.

Upvote 0
Aye, long press on empty on stock launcher should give:

Widgets | Shortcuts
-------------------
Folders | Walpapers

Even adding the shortcut to the settings though it then opens it up and you still have to press enable.

Seriously, try out widgetsoid. Here's one I just threw together as an example in under a minute:
widgetsoidexample1.png

One touch enable/disable of Portable Hotspot, USB tethering, GPS and flashlight. You can add as many as you want in a widget anything from 1x1 to 1x5 in either direction. You can save multiple widget profiles. Coulor scheme is fully editable down to transparency level.

Well in worst case i'll get a widget but I don't get why they semeed to have removed the shortcut option from their default OS with the latest update.

Upvote 0
Well in worst case i'll get a widget but I don't get why they semeed to have removed the shortcut option from their default OS with the latest update.

I always have and still have the option to add a shortcut to various options screens and do not understand why you do not so nothing has been removed by updates in general.

Here, proof. Long press on empty homescreen using Samsung launcher. Select Shorctuts. The shortcuts menu appears and afer scrolling down I get to go into the settings shortcuts:
shortcuts.jpg

I have heard of people with home screen mods or other apps, particularly ones requiring root, having some issues with basic functionality and needing a factory reset and re-install after upgrade but this is always the fault of installed apps rather than the upgrade from what follows in posts.

I added the shortcut to various settings screens until I found I could directly turn the functionality on and off from one widget bar that could fit many icons per shortcut space.

Upvote 0
Ok but did you update to the latest latest version with everything looking like the S3? The gallery changed,the way it look etc?

like in this picture http://mobilemode.com/uploads/allimg/120723/112S4W04_0.jpg (note how the new apps icon look). And here http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gpOBu6MYW5M/0.jpg this is the new apps page, (look at the top you have a option to see your widgets too) I had like in your picture before the absolute latest update by kies)which was major and changed many functionalities), Now i only have text when pressing home screen and shortcuts is not one of them.

EDIT: Yes I am aware my screenshots are from the S3, but the newest Note update make it look exactly the same.

Upvote 0
Oh, OK. I can definitely see where the confusion lays now. I am on 4.04 but did it OTA and haven't had an update since then. I see what you mean now just having looked at an S3. It is the later version of Touchwiz.
Now there is an issue as to why only some phones have been updated to the latest Touchwiz.

[Edit]

I've been browsing various other topics I had been monitoring and no-one else has noticed a huge difference in the Touchwiz interface. I'm pretty certain that officially the Note has 4.0 and the S III has Nature UX. How you got the latter is beyond me. I'll see if I can have a play with an S III to see if there is a way. From watching him muck about earlier you can long press stuff from inside settings until the screen zooms allowing you to drag the item to a home screen.

Upvote 0
Hey I finally got the update on my HK Note. If you still haven't found the way to add it, I think this is what you want to do: go to Apps drawer > press the Widgets tab > scroll to where you see it says "Settings shortcut" "1x1" and the settings icon > long press and drag to your homescreen > menu will pop up and you will be able to choose your setting shortcut.

Reactions: mlk2
Upvote 0
Hey I finally got the update on my HK Note. If you still haven't found the way to add it, I think this is what you want to do: go to Apps drawer > press the Widgets tab > scroll to where you see it says "Settings shortcut" "1x1" and the settings icon > long press and drag to your homescreen > menu will pop up and you will be able to choose your setting shortcut.

IT WORKED! :D They sure know how to complicate matters.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I always have and still have the option to add a shortcut to various options screens and do not understand why you do not so nothing has been removed by updates in general.

Here, proof. Long press on empty homescreen using Samsung launcher. Select Shorctuts. The shortcuts menu appears and afer scrolling down I get to go into the settings shortcuts:
shortcuts.jpg

You're not getting it. He cannot select "Shortcuts", because that is not in the menu that appears when you long tap on an empty part of the Home Screen.

So how is that "proof"?

FYI, it's not a case of him doing it wrong, or having a custom ROM, or Launcher, because it doesn't appear on my Samsung either and I'm using the Factory JB 4.2.2 ROM, with the Factory TouchWiz Launcher.

No offense, but your supposed "proof", is like him going into his Kenmore fridge and then saying; "I have no milk".

...and then you say to him in response; "Yes you do have milk. Proof? I went into my Kenmore fridge and there's a gallon of milk in it.".

See what I mean? :)

As I said, it's not on mine either and believe me when I tell you that I do know how to configure a Samsung phone (TouchWiz)! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones