How can I be sure my phone won't use mobile data while abroad?

1. neiltc13

neiltc13 Member

I'm travelling to Spain next week and will be taking my HTC Desire for photos and to use Wi-Fi in my hotel.

However, I'm concerned that the phone will use mobile data as well, either without my knowledge or accidentally.

Is there a way I can ensure without any doubt that my Desire won't use mobile data? Obviously I don't want to turn on airplane mode because I still want to use Wi-Fi.

Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> uncheck the "Data roaming" box. That way your phone will ONLY connect to data when on it's "home" network.
    carcassonne likes this.
  3. prav

prav Member

I'm not sure if this works 100%, but on my current network (3) there is an option on the online account control panel to allow internet access with 3 settings -

off
    local and international
    local only

Like I say I don't know whether these actually do anything, so you'd be best to turn it off on the phone as well, but you might want to check your account page and see if you can do something similar to (possibly) add another layer of protection. If there isn't you could phone your network to ask if they have a similar 'switch' on their side maybe?
  4. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

brykins method should work.

You could alway try checking it with your network too.
  5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Use the mobile data settings widget to disable mobile internet, this is what I'll be doing when I go to italy this month