How can I boot into the file system to backup certain files?Support

Last Updated:

1. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's the deal...My Inc is giving me problems...yet again. Verizon says that I should reset the phone and if that doesn't help, then get it replaced. #1. I'm tired of this. I've been though a crap load of phones lately. #2. I don't want to loose my progress in Angry Birds.

Rovio says that I need to backup the files highscores.lua and settings.lua. But I can't find those on my phone using Astro. I'm assuming they are in some lower level that I don't have access to from within the OS. So, is there a way to boot the phone into some sort of command prompt and manually copy those files to my SD card for backup purposes?

Or am I screwed?

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Root (when it becomes available again) and you can do it.

3. ned4spd8874

Well that sucks.

4. ned4spd8874

CRAP! I rebooted my phone to get the network connection working again and must have pressed the wrong button. I got in that text menu screen. I pulled the battery and now half my apps are gone. !@#$@#%@#%

So I guess nevermind to the first question. I just did a factory reset because I don't want to live with all the errors on start up after that mess. There goes my data.

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I realize some damage has already been done here but you might consider MyBackup Pro in the future to keep your apps backed up as a non rooted user.

This is one of the great things about rooting that people often overlook. Even if you don't want to do a bunch of advanced stuff and tweaks on your phone, rooting allows a complete and total backup of every single setting on the phone and all apps and their data as well. Other than a catastrophic act of doom, you can always get right back to where you were with a few minutes of minimal effort.

Please realize I'm NOT trying to rub salt in the wound, just mentioning possibilities looking ahead. Sorry to hear about the PIA hand you were dealt here.

6. ned4spd8874

I have used Sprite Backup, but haven't found it terribly useful since most of my important stuff is either saved to the SD card or backed up too Google itself (email, contacts, etc.). What's the difference between MyBackup Pro and Sprite Backup?

7. iowabowtech

That I cannot answer, I always thought they were similar but I could be way off base. I'm really only familiar with Titanium Backup for which I would sell my first born. :D

You should be good on the Google/SD card stuff since data from either can be replaced or retrieved by sync. It's the loss of apps/data that I was referring to. I'm assuming that Sprite/MyBackup also save app data but again...speculation. You can't get your apps/data back with Sprite? Do you have a recent backup?

8. ned4spd8874

I'll definitely be looking into rooting my phone now. However, since I am still having the network issues, I'll probably wait until I get my replacement phone before doing that. Now I just need to figure out if I want another Inc or go for a Droid or wait for the next big thing...hmmmm....

9. iowabowtech

What's your network issue?

10. ned4spd8874

I posted on here before, but in a nutshell, I loose Internet access a lot. Toggling airplane mode helps temporarily, but not for long. It's really, really annoying.

11. iowabowtech

Something tells me you've already tried the usual suspects for your problem.

*228 Option 2 to update PRL?

Others have done a hard reset for this problem also. Appears you just did that in this instance whether desired or not...have you had internet loss since your reset?

You in a marginal coverage area? Losing 3G and wireless both?

12. ned4spd8874

Yep, did all the usual. Verizon said that they would replace my phone either with the same one or any other one that I might want. Trying to decide what to do about that...

I've always had decent coverage. It worked fine before in the same areas, but now it drops left and right. And yes, it's done it at least 3 times that I've noticed tonight after the reset.

13. iowabowtech

Ok, lemme ask you this...you say it worked ok before. Did you start having this problem after updating to 2.2 via OTA? If not, can you pin it down to a certain moment in time that coincides with a major change to your phone and it's apps or software?

14. ned4spd8874

Nope, up until last week it worked great. No updates, no new software. Besides, now no extra software besides the stock ones are installed and it still happens.

15. iowabowtech

So you didn't even install the November OTA? Or did it happen after installing that?

16. ned4spd8874

Hmm...yeah, I did get that installed. But it was a while after that when the problem started. It wasn't immediately afterward. I'd say at least a week or so if I'm remembering the time frame correctly.

17. iowabowtech

Ok. Well I'm guessing there's 2 explanations:

1.) Hardware issue...your screwed.
    2.) November OTA changed something to bork your radio and perhaps the power management to your radio.

I have had the same loss of network issues with certain (especially earlier AOSP) Roms. Many of us had that problem and we had to do the same jockeying on/off of airplane mode to fix it.

If this is the case, I bet you rooting and applying a different ROM would take care of your problem. Sorry to keep coming back to that but it's flippin amazing how may of the usual suspect HTC problems can be avoided by having real control over your phone and what's on it.

I've said countless times on this forum how I HATE and distrust OTA's. Mainly because of the way they are applied...over the top. It effs things up and sometimes it's really quite random. Affects one guy zero and borks the next guy's phone to who laid the rail. I've always kinda kept to myself about rooting and it's benefits in all my time here. Never reallly tried to push anybody one way or the other. But I think you are a classic case for somebody to throw in the chips and give it a whirl. Unrevoked has been saying for awhile now they are close to 1 click root again. Think about it, you might solve your woes without changing phones. If you end up wanting to change the phone irregardless then hey, it was a good run. :D

Take care and feel free to post up any questions if you decide to cross that bridge or PM me if desired.

Best regards.

18. ned4spd8874

Thanks a lot for your help! I would be open to trying to root it and see if that fixes it. But I've never rooted a phone before and am a bit apprehensive. I guess I should post this in the other forum or do some more research. I'm just worried that I will loose functions that I have now. Or that I will have to keep manually updating it after any updates that Verizon push down.

I just want a phone that works with no maintenance. I want to set it and forget it as they say.

I won't even get into all the confusion with all the different ROM versions...