How can I close tabs in Chrome?Support

Last Updated:

1. alw

alw New Member

I just got the Nexus 7 tablet and its mostly great.
    But Chrome keeps opening up multiple tabs and there seems to be no way to close them. (This is even true of incognito tabs!). Various HELP sites refer to a "card" display of all open tabs, from which they can be swiped out to remove them. But there seems to be no way to get to this "card" display. The buttons and menus don't help and I have tried every option.
    The only way I have found so far is to open the App Settins and delete everything -- including favorites, passwords, cookies, etc. -- which is a very clumsy way to just close all of the tabs.

2. slowhat

slowhat Well-Known Member

press the "X" on the tab you want to close.
  3. alw

alw New Member

That doesn't work -- you can't zoom in on the tab itself (although you can on the page), and pressing any part of the tab just selects the tab. Then, swiping it left or right only changes its position -- it doesn't remove it.
  4. bjtcars

bjtcars Well-Known Member

Hmm pressing on the X closes the tab for me.
    alw likes this.
  5. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

The x on the right end of the tab works for me to close them.

The card view you read about is on the phone version of Chrome I assume - that's how I see the tabs on my Nexus S.
    alw likes this.
  6. alw

alw New Member

Thank you -- yes, after repeated attempts, I also find that pressing the 'X' sometimes works -- but its very difficult and takes many tries, especially if the title fills the tab. I suspect that anyone with large fingers would find it impossible!
  7. bjtcars

bjtcars Well-Known Member

You suspect right I fall into that category (large fingers) and its not uncommon throwing out a few curse words trying to get it done especially on the phone!
    alw likes this.
  8. shaneydroid

shaneydroid Well-Known Member

Maybe not the best solution but stylus pens are available for use with N7. Pretty cheap on eBay (I'm getting one "free" with a cover I ordered).
    Web browsing is the one area I could see me using one.
    mike4472 and alw like this.
  9. mike4472

mike4472 Member

A Stylus Pen may be a great idea. I'm also having difficulty in closing Chrome Tabs.
  10. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

I find I have to aim a little high and to the left a little when hitting the X and use very light pressure so as to not squish your fingertip larger, you could also use your little finger.
  11. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Install Firefox.
  12. GirlFriday

GirlFriday Well-Known Member

Tapping on the X works just fine for me. No problems at all. Card view is only on phones.
  13. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

I have never had any issue with this, you'll get it down sir.
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

The last tab is exceptionally hard to close. I miss the X and just select the tab, so I try again a little bit to the right, and I hit the "new tab" button instead, leaving me with more tabs I want to close :).
  15. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

Firefox beta is awesome it has become my favorite Web browser