• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I find a text spy program installed on my phone?

Jenyphero

Lurker
Nov 10, 2011
Hi all. Brand new to the forums, but I have a pressing question I'm hoping someone can help me with. How can I find and erase a spy program on my phone? My ex-boyfriend is stalking me, I'm pretty sure. He sent me a text yesterday that said "Good job blocking your texts. I can see them when they pop up, but not when they come through" and "I saw his text to you, too". I realize if this is installed on my phone, it's illegal and I could probably get him in a lot of trouble, but I don't want to do that. I just want him to go away. I tried searching through my app manager, but there are so many programs/apps that Android installed itself that I can't tell what's critical to the function of my phone and what was installed by someone else. Should I just take it to the store and have them wipe the phone to its factory settings? And if I do, what should I back-up before I go? I don't care about my apps so much, but I do have photos and phone numbers I want to make sure stay.

The safest way to be sure is to have the phone restored to factory settings. If you sync your contacts to your gmail account, you won't lose any contacts. Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable and copy all the photos and other files to the PC before you reset it.

As for the 'spy' app, it could be that your ex is just messing with you to make you nervous and inconvenience you. However, it's possible he could have put something nefarious on your phone if he had access to it at any time. Before you reset it, document everything he's sent you that might be considered stalking and if he continues, report him to the police.

And you might want to change all your passwords, in case he ever knew them.

Reactions: Jenyphero
Upvote 0
Thank you so much! I figured that's what I had to do. It's an inconvenience, but at least I won't drive myself crazy trying to find something that's probably hidden deep in my system. Yes, he had access to my phone a few months ago. As much as I'd like to believe he's just messing with my head, I truly believe he installed something based on the content of his messages to me. Why don't men come with warning signs?? :mad: I appreciate your response and will get it to the store immediately!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones