• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I find original ROM version?

bigalexe

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Ok so I want to find out what the heck the original ROM for my phone was and it's not quite straightforward as it would seem. I have a Galaxy SII which identifies to my PC as being an SCH-R760 which would apparently be the US Cellular variant using CDMA technology. It's also EVDO REV A capable (and I don't know what that means but anyway). So I got the phone from a tiny cell company called Thumb Cellular here in Michigan. It uses the Verizon network when it's not on their network. That's about all I can tell you about the phone.

Problem... I used the upgrade tool on the Samsung website for going from 2.3 Gingerbread up to 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. Now it upgraded and the phone works for talk and text but I can't get data on the network and it says I'm roaming. Basically my phone has no idea what network it is not a US Cellular phone.

So can anyone give me instructions how to do one of two things:

1.) Find out what the heck the original ROM was or how to enable the right network on ICS which I have now.

2.) How to use my dad's phone (Identical model) to make a backup copy of the ROM and then restore my phone from that.

Lesson: BACKUP YO SHIT

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones