• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how can i get internet from my lg optimus s to my computer

zthephi

Lurker
Dec 22, 2010
hey guys i just got my lg optimus s from sprint... i used to get internet from my phone to my computer using a nokia nuron from t-mobile and i want to do the same with the optimus but i have no idea how i been trying and trying :thinking: the hot spot doesnt work any help??? please!!!!!! <3

Download the quicksettings app from the market. It will enable you to have the hot spot without paying sprint the additional $29.99. You have to go into the app preferences to add the hot spot menu button. Then click the wifi hotspot text, it will take you to the Wi-Fi hotspot configuration to create the security and network name.

It took me longer to figure out than it should have because the instructions above weren't clear enough to me. So I'll add to them.

Install Quick Settings. After install, go into the application screen and run Quick Settings. When it loads, press the Menu button on the phone and select Customize. You have to drag the WiFi Hotspot out of the Hidden Settings area into the Visible Settings area. You might want to move other stuff around while you're in there. Anyway, once you leave the Customize menu, you will see the Wifi Hotspot listed. Now you can turn it on and do its settings. The person who said he/she was getting the Network not found error, I believe, was trying to use the Sprint hotspot setup. You don't use that at all; you do it all from Quick Settings.

Hope this save someone some time in the future.

Reactions: yayaquinn
Upvote 0
It took me longer to figure out than it should have because the instructions above weren't clear enough to me. So I'll add to them.

Install Quick Settings. After install, go into the application screen and run Quick Settings. When it loads, press the Menu button on the phone and select Customize. You have to drag the WiFi Hotspot out of the Hidden Settings area into the Visible Settings area. You might want to move other stuff around while you're in there. Anyway, once you leave the Customize menu, you will see the Wifi Hotspot listed. Now you can turn it on and do its settings. The person who said he/she was getting the Network not found error, I believe, was trying to use the Sprint hotspot setup. You don't use that at all; you do it all from Quick Settings.

Hope this save someone some time in the future.

This doesn't work.

When you enable the hotspot, it automatically disables mobile data.

Yes, I can wirelessly connect to my phone's network as a hotspot..... but I can't connect to the internet..... so it really doesn't make much sense.

trying the next option.

Upvote 0
Quick Settings works perfectly for me for more than just wifi. I have my hotspot, wifi, gps, mobile data, bluetooth, screen brightness, and flashlight all right in one spot to turn on and off and quickly and easily (just to name a few).

It helps turn on and off what I need when I need it to conserve battery life...which is also listed as % remaining.

But I have used the wifi through quick settings several times at various length of time per session, anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours...never had a single problem.

Of course, as with anything, your mileage may vary. Just wanted to put in a plug for what I consider the best app I've downloaded so far....hands down.

Upvote 0
This doesn't work.

When you enable the hotspot, it automatically disables mobile data.

Yes, I can wirelessly connect to my phone's network as a hotspot..... but I can't connect to the internet..... so it really doesn't make much sense.

trying the next option.

I fear you are not following the instructions completely.

When you run Quick Settings, you should see (at least):

Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi
GPS Receiver
Mobile Data

Please note that there are two WIFI connections listed there. One is for the hotspot, the other is if you want to connect your phone to a WIFI access point. If you turn Wi-Fi on, it WILL TURN OFF Mobile Data. That's exactly what you should expect because you're telling the phone to use a wifi connection instead of Sprint's 3G network (aka Mobile Data). I suspect you do not have a Wi-Fi Hotspot line. I suspect you didn't do the part where you click on the Menu button after running Quick Settings and selecting Customize to activate the Hotspot control. You MUST make the Wi-Fi Hotspot control visible; by default it is hidden.

Upvote 0
For several weeks I've been using the free app, Quick Settings (the green gear one by Sergej Shafarenka). Instructions follow. But note that if you have any problem with error messages on initial setup, try restarting the phone. Also note that you must have a cellular data connection in order for the Wi-Fi Hotspot to work, so make sure that your "Mobile data" connection is turned on and that you're actually connected to a cellular data network, like 3G. (There is a Mobile data setting in Quick Settings that you can use to confirm that your mobile data is turned on.) If you don't have a mobile data connection you will get a "Network is unavailable" error message. But hey, I don't care which hotspot app you use, if you don't have a data connection, you can't share it as a hotspot!

1) Install it, open it, hit the "settings" button on your phone, and select "Customize".
2) Scroll to the botton and use the gray up/down arrow icon on the right to drag "WiFi Hotspot" up from the "Hidden Settings" area into the visible area. (You might want to also move around any other settings that you care about.)
3) Hit the "back" button on your phone.
4) Select "WiFi Hotspot".
5) Check "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
6) Select "Configure Wi-Fi Hotspot" and input your desired SSID and security type. "Save".
7) Hit "back" to return to the main Quicksettings menu and under Wi-Fi hotspot hit the "Off" button, which will turn it on.

Note that you can't have WiFi on at the same time that you have WiFi Hotspot on. That is, you can't use the phone to act as a repeater for a WiFi connection. If you turn on WiFi Hotspot, it will automatically turn off your phone's Wi-Fi, and vice versa.

I like Quick Settings, not only for its free WiFi Hotspot capability, but also for its ability to give quick access to many other settings... and for its flashlight capability. I've moved a Quick Settings shortcut to my main screen, which gives me the ability to turn on the Hotspot and change many other useful settings with two presses.

Reactions: Dagreat1
Upvote 0
Once you install Quick Settings, it's not complicated at all. You start the app and you push the WiFi Hotspot "On" button. To turn it off you press "off". How much easier could it be?

If you use Hotspot Widget, chances are you're also going to load one or two other apps that perform all of the other functions the Quick Settings can perform (like managing screen brightness, volume, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) I'd say it's a lot simpler to have all such settings (and a flashlight app) in one place. But that's just my preference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones