How can I get movies onto my captivate?Support

Last Updated:

1. hcho3

hcho3 Member This Topic's Starter

HEy, everyone. I just got a captivate and I would appreciate it if any of you can tell me how can I get the movie AVATAR on the captivate. I am also interested in putting some movies on it as well. Can anyone tell me how?

Advertisement
  2. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

You can buy them when Samsung gets their media hub going. You can rip your DVDs to MP4 format using a tool like DVDFab.

3. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

Download a program called format factory. Open it on your desktop. You can put a dvd into your drive, click "dvd to video file" in the selections on the left side and convert it into MP4 format. Make sure to choose only the title or chapter that is the actual movie. Uncheck the shortest chapters time-wise. Choose your default audio stream. ac3 english will actually sound better than 5.1 on the phone. Louder anyway if you don't have earphones. Thats it, click "convert" when it appears back on the home screen of the program click "start" at the top and after the movie is done, you can mount your USB cable and drag and drop the movie into the folder of your choice on your phone. Or make a new folder titled "movies" hope this helps!

4. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member

Pretty much drag and drop into the Music folder on the Captivate. As for where you get your movies, I can't talk about methods here, but just go to the store and buy some movies!

5. accrews

accrews Member

Can I use this on a movie dvd I've purchased since all of them have copyright protection or does this only work for homemade movies with no protection?

I also read that this will try to stealth install two other programs, so beware.

6. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Well-Known Member

i use handbrake, theres a guide how to use it specifically for the handbrake here: [HOWTO] Convert videos for Samsung Galaxy S using Handbreak. - xda-developers Since Im just ripping dvd's i leave it at 720x480. if your ripping blu rays good luck with that, thats its own headache. you'll also need a decrypter, such as DVD43, if your ripping anything with encryption, im sure avatar does, and every disney movie certainly does

CASUAL likes this.
  7. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

Handbrake is free and works well. I bought DVDFab many years ago and never regretted it. They update it all the time and rips BluRay as well. The Decrypter is built into DVDFab - so if you want easy, it is a great way to go.

8. JDM9499

JDM9499 Well-Known Member

What program works with Mac? And which do you prefer for Mac?

9. mash4077

mash4077 Active Member

I use handbrake with anydvd

10. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

if your movies are divx/xvid encoded, i'd recommend RockPlayer.. there's a free and paid version.. i've been using the free version for the past several days & works well

11. iPhobia

iPhobia Member

handbrake and mactheripper.

12. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Get the DVD version, rip it using your favorite ripper and then use Handbrake to encode into a size/quality compromise that is suitable to you and the power of your PC.

Roze likes this.
  13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I am assuming that you are asking how to put your purchased Avatar DVD and any other DVDs you own onto your phone. We do not promote the use of piracy on AndroidForums and I hope that was not your intention. All suggestions with regards to piracy have been dealt with.

Cheers,
    -Roze-

14. hcho3

hcho3 Member This Topic's Starter

No worries, Admin. I have a AVATAR DVD that is purchased.

15. picklesNICKLES

picklesNICKLES Well-Known Member

Awe roze loves to follow the rules how cute

I use handbrake on my Mac and it works pretty well except I can't figure out how to cover into anything higher than 640x360...the videos still look good but I hate knowing that im not getting the Max resolution on the phone

16. sremick

Uncheck anamorphic, check keep aspect ratio, and use the buttons to increase the smaller number until the larger one reaches 800. Trying to increase the larger won't work and will max out at 720.

This has been mentioned in numerous threads at this point.

17. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

handbrake is the bomb for mac also try iskysoft dvd ripper xACT or "any video converter pro for mac" but out of all of handbrake is easiest to work with.

18. ghost03

ghost03 Member

I am using Wondershare DVD ripper for the mac. It rips DVDs (the ones you own, of course) in just about any format you can think of. There is a trial version so you can test it first.

19. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

Awesome im gonna have to try this out thanks for posting the link. I "own"some movies that I need to try this with

20. sremick

If you're putting "own" in quotes, you're obviously referring to illegally copied material. This forum doesn't advocate or support copyright infringement.

While I have no problem helping people convert movies from discs they legally own into a format they can play on their device (as this falls under the "fair use" clause), I will not support anyone trying to use my instructions for illegal purposes, and will report anyone making it obvious that they are doing so.

21. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

i bought karate kid today, and im trying to put it on my phone. I used "own" as a future tense..
    because it was currently not in my posession

22. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

(moving on)

well i googled handbrake and I downloaded it but when I try to run it it says...

".NET runtime library is not installed.
    You can download .Net framework 2.0 redistributable from the microsfot website.
    Alternatively you can use google for a direct download URL."

EDIT: I SOLVED THE PROBLEM..i downloaded framework 2.0

23. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

for some reason when i put a movie on the phone that I used handbrake to encode, the movie will occaionally stutter. like for a split second every maybe 15 seconds the picture will freeze. Barely noticible, but irritating

All other video is works perfectly

24. sremick

Probably your advanced settings. Use the settings outlined here:
    Transferring movies from DVD - CapFAQ

25. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Thread moved.