• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I get the Google Chrome Browser onto my Android phone?

Hi everyone,

I have a LG Optimus M and I was wondering how (if possible) I can get the Chrome browser on my phone??

I've tried downloading Chrome to Phone but I don't see any changes when I click the internet button (little picture of a world at bottom far right of screen)

Is it actually possible to get the real deal chrome browser on the phone with tabs and the whole works?? (from Google)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Hi suXor...

Thanks a bunch for the tip but I would like to ask...

You say "the browser" is Google's mobile version of chrome?? which browser are u referring to?

There are 2 on my phone currently. I have the browser that came with the phone (I think it is Metro PCS's browser and I also have Dolphin Pro HD which I downloaded because I was wanting something with Tabs but I think I missed the mark on that.

Is there a particular browser I should download that works best for things like Google Analytics etc??

Thanks again

Upvote 0
The browser that comes with Android phones IS Chrome. It's just tweaked to be much more friendly for being on a small touch screen. There are still "tabs" so to speak but they aren't literal tabs. You need to hit menu then you'll see a button for windows. That is your "tab" screen.

Upvote 0
The browser that comes with Android phones IS Chrome. It's just tweaked to be much more friendly for being on a small touch screen. There are still "tabs" so to speak but they aren't literal tabs. You need to hit menu then you'll see a button for windows. That is your "tab" screen.

Well, it isn't REALLY Chrome. It has some of the same "behind the scenes" parts. But the interface doesn't look like or act like the Chrome Browser on your PC.

There isn't a "full Chrome Browser" for android. The "Internet" icon you have on your phone is Google's Android stock browser.

Personally, I like Dolphin Mini. X-Scope is also good if you like Chrome on your PC.

Upvote 0
Yes, and I suspect one of the reasons may be (the assumption?) that all Android 4.0 phones will have ONLY software buttons, unlike the Atrix and the many others that all have physical / clearly-marked buttons

Not likely. SGS2 ICS update is already in the works and is in alpha testing a couple of months ago. I doubt its just the buttons. However the chrome app is a beta test and is therefore probably not optimized to run on all devices yet.

Upvote 0
It's okay. I tried Chrome beta on Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's not that good yet. Maybe when it comes out of beta, it'll be better.

It has potential. For example, switching tabs by swiping starting from off the screen to across the screen is brilliant! No more accidentally switching tabs by just trying to scroll to the edge of the screen. Also, closing open tabs in the tab list by flicking them left or right is so much easier than trying to hit a little "x". These are features you wonder why nobody thought of before.

Text reflow works way better on the standard ICS browser and it's a bit smoother. Even with those things, I can't say Chrome beta is "not good yet". It's got a lot of potential.

Upvote 0
Which phone did you try it on? Did it work at all?
CDMA Galaxy Nexus. Yes, it works. Nothing is broken. It just needs more polish.

First of all, I was not seeing the touted speed it's supposed to have. Webpages loaded more slowly on Chrome beta than on Browser, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, and xScope. Some pages wouldn't load at all and would just hang and need to be refreshed.

The animation for opening a new tab looks spiffy but is functionally hampering. When you open a link in a new tab, a phantom window appears in front of of your current tab covering the bottom half and then sinks down to let you know "It opened but in the background." That communication's great, except that it blocks the page you're reading while it's doing the "cool" animation. I think there are better ways to indicate a new tab has opened in the background. For an example, in the desktop version of Firefox if you have too many tabs open to view at once and then open one in the background, you'll see a tiny flash on the far right of the tab bar.

Likewise, when you're managing tabs to close, there's a cool animation--you can swipe a tab away to the left or right to close it. Looks cool. But it's still not a tab. It still follows the iPhone Safari / Android Browser paradigm of separate windows you have to manage. What this means is that every time you want to close a tab, you have to do an extra tap to get the list of open "tabs" (really windows, not tabs) and then manage them and then tap again on a tab to bring it into focus. A lot of extra work. In xScope, Boat, Dolphin, and Opera, you can manage actual tabs in the interface itself without a lot of extra taps to bring up new interfaces.

Upvote 0
The stock browser isn't really Chrome, and to highlight the fact, we have a new Chrome for Android (beta) out in the Market. Unfortunately, I don't see it working on my Atrix running CM9 :-(

It now works, though I can't remember doing anything different other than Sync-ing properly with my Google account. Trying to access tabs will still FC it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones