How can I get the stock camera apk?

Last Updated:

1. TwinIon

TwinIon Member This Topic's Starter

I recently put a ROM on my X, and I really like it so far, but the camera app is pretty poor. How would I go about getting the apk for the default camera app for the Droid X 2.2? I googled around and someone said you could download the rom and rip it from there, but I'm not sure where to get that or how to do it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Download THIS file and place it on your sdcard. Using root explorer long press on the .apk file and select "copy" then paste it in the system/app folder but do not try to install it. You may need to hit the rw/ro button on the top right of the screen to paste and change permissions. Once it's there long press on the apk file and change the permissions to: User: read, write, Group: read and Others: read. Then just restart your phone.

TwinIon likes this.
  3. 92slammer

92slammer Well-Known Member

i installed 2.3.320 a few days ago along with tranquility 3.5.1 and just noticed that camera and camcorder are both missing. ive tried this and it didnt work...ive tried about 30 times to install it...everything from this to installing a zip from recovery....any ideas

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

You're just putting it in the system/app folder, changing the permissions and then rebooting? Hitting "install" will not work.

5. TwinIon

TwinIon Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the download and the instructions. Worked like a charm.

I had one other problem after following them, and I thought I'd post it for future reference.

Because of the backdoor way that this was installed, when I pressed the camera button, it didn't ask for a new default app. I went into manage applications, but I couldn't clear the defaults for either camera app. I installed a free demo of another camera app, which then gave me the option of which app to use by default.

Works great now. Thanks again.

6. 92slammer

yes i did it correctly( did not hit install) and nothing. guess ill have to wait for 2.3.340 to come out later tonight

7. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

Try this DX_Camera.zip

Put it on your sd card and install it through clockwork as a zip.

8. 92slammer

i tried that thanks though