• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How can I make a soundboard?

tex78634

Lurker
Jul 6, 2009
I am looking to make several soundboards that I would like to put in the market for free. I really don't know anything about the code needed to do this.

I have in the past taken a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) and gone into the code and changed it to how I wanted it. Could it be anything like that?

Is there a way I could take an existing soundboard... like the Old Man Herbert soundboard and simply go into the code and just change out the sound, photos, and text? Sorry for sounding like a total n00b! There are just so many sound boards that would be awesome to have... like Battlestar Galactica, Zelda, He-Man, Thundercats, Quantum Leap, Donkey Kong... stuff like that.

Cheers

Joe

You ask a lot of questions, and several more are implied.

Do you have any experience with, or desire to learn, Java? Making a sound board app is reasonably simple in a cuddly environment such as Android, but if you're not familiar with Java, or not even a coder, it's going to be a learning experience for you.

You might be able to modify the code of an existing sound board, but how will you get access to the source? If it's hosted somewhere such as SourceForge then go right ahead, otherwise you'll need to contact the developer. In any case, you'll also need to look into the license!

This is the bane of software development (and, I imagine, stonemasonry): it takes but a day to form a vision, but seemingly forever to bring it to reality.

Upvote 0
after reading half of the internet, I can answer one of your questions:
No, you can't simply go into an existing soundboard and edit it. If you have tried to open the .apk file, you would notice that it concists of several things, such as the ''resource.arsc'' which contains sounds and other stuff, but the sad thing is that it's all binary code, so if you don't know Jack Schitt about how to edit that...

I am currently looking for an app or a website myself where I can make my own soundboard, but with no luck :(

:EDIT:
I have found a Java program for PC where you can make your own soundboard, but is it that simple that I can just rename this to an .apk file?

Upvote 0
Inspired by this thread and my own interested in making my own android soundboard. I have created http://www.myandroidsoundboard.com

Myandroidsoundboard.com contains a pre-packaged kit allows you to simply follow instructions, download the template, and edit it to contain whatever sounds you would like. It is not necessary to know how to program in Java, or even have any previous programming experience. The instructions are written step by step from downloading Eclipse to installing your new soundboard on your Droid. Additionally, it was written to support API3 making it compatible with virtually any Android phone.

I hope that this helps someone, because I would have killed for it when I initially took on the project of creating my own soundboard.

Thanks,

--Daxx

Upvote 0
the website above has nothing of a "pre-packaged kit" to create soundboards.. The site is simply stating what development tools a "developer" needs to use in order to write an Android App.. precisely... a soundboard. \/ How about a website that allows a user to drag n drop his or her sound bytes into the website and push a button, let the website do all the work.. then you end up with a file you can download and install.. presto!

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

Due to the cost of supporting MyAndroidSoundboard.com I will be taking it down shortly. The information however will still be available at Create your own Android Soundboard -- Formerly MyAndroidSoundboard.com | IgnoranceIsFutile.com

MyAndroidSoundboard.com will be redirecting there for a while until it is finally taken offline. As I state on the top of the redirect, I haven't tried it yet, but I think Google App Inventor now provides a much easier way of doing this.

Thanks,

--Daxx

Upvote 0
Daxx's site moved to: Create your own Android Soundboard -- Formerly MyAndroidSoundboard.com | IgnoranceIsFutile.com if you are new and didn't read the whole thread.

I have used his tutorial to make a few soundboard, and there are some details that he did not go over that I wish he did, such as changing the name of the soundboard, or using the long press save function to save as a notification or ringtone. Other than those 2 things, he puts up a really great code with an easy to use tutorial. Unfortunately he is no longer offering support for this tutorial, so no more questions are answered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones