• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I minimize data usage while traveling abroad?

ktbeta

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
I have T-Mobile US service but I'm visiting the UK for 10 days. T-Mobile told me it would be no problem to get the unlock codes in 24 hours, but it's been almost three days and I'm getting sent back and forth between T-Mobile and HTC customer service, each of whom is blaming the delay on the other one.

Since I'm already in the UK and no one can give me an ETA on the unlock codes, I'm trying to decide if I should just turn on the phones and pay for the charges. If so, I want to minimize my data usage as much as possible since it's a completely ridiculous $15/mb

I use an average of 350mb/month for email, Twitter, Facebook, internet browsing, and Google Maps. Here I only *need* to use Google Maps a few times a day. What's the best way to disable the other applications so they don't use any data? Also, how much data should I expect Google Maps to be using?

Thanks!

You can switch the phone to airplane/flight mode. I believe from this mode, you can turn wi-fi on/off if you need to use Google Maps.

Also, since T-Mobile is GSM, couldn't you swap your SIM card with a pre-paid one there in the UK so you don't incur charges against your normal plan?

My understanding was that I had to get my phone unlocked to use anything other than a T-Mobile USA SIM card. My original plan was to get cheap SIM cards when we got here, but since they won't unlock the phone I can't use them.

I found a smartphone rental service called Fonmigo that will cost about 5 pounds/day with unlimited data. I think I'll probably go get one of those because at least then I know I won't be coming home to a $1500 phone bill.

Upvote 0
My understanding was that I had to get my phone unlocked to use anything other than a T-Mobile USA SIM card. My original plan was to get cheap SIM cards when we got here, but since they won't unlock the phone I can't use them.

I found a smartphone rental service called Fonmigo that will cost about 5 pounds/day with unlimited data. I think I'll probably go get one of those because at least then I know I won't be coming home to a $1500 phone bill.

oh, that's right--you did mention not getting the unlock codes. Which doesn't surprise me. I'm sure carriers are in no hurry to supply that since it's lost revenue to them when you're off their network. Plus I don't know if unlock codes are unique to a phone and no new ones are generated after. It'd be your ticket to getting away from being tethered to one carrier.

Glad you found another option. It's probably a better deal overall!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones