• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I perform a proper un-install or cleanup?

dappy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
Hi all,

I'm new here and I am also new to the Android environment so I hope you can forgive me if this question is really basic and boring :eek:

I have an app on my HTC Desire HD that has been working fine but suddenly yesterday, it no longer launched properly saying that "The game data is corrupt, please re-install". Well I have un-installed and re-installed over 10 times now but it makes no difference.

Now, I'm not asking you guys for tech support on that app, I can live with not having it anymore , that's not the point. What I would like to find out is, why un-installing and re-installing doesn't work. I am suspecting that there are some files or configs left behind when I un-install? Am I correct in saying that it's possible that android apps can be as messy as Windows software in leaving garbage behind? And if so, what/where/how would I go about cleaning out the redundant files/config left behind by an un-installed app? I can't seem to find and files or directories with familiar names so I have no idea where the data is stored (using Astro file manager).

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome, thank you! :)

By the way, I'm pretty certain it's not a problem with the install file as it is a popular app, if I had a second phone I could test that theory out but I don't. But I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my phone.

Welcome to Android Forums!

Am I correct in saying that it's possible that android apps can be as messy as Windows software in leaving garbage behind?

No, anything "left over" is usually by design e.g. configuration settings, saved game progress etc.

what/where/how would I go about cleaning out the redundant files/config left behind by an un-installed app?
Reinstall the app, but don't open it. Instead go to Setting/Applications/Manage Applications, select the app, and then select "Clear data". Now try running the app.

Reactions: dappy
Upvote 0
Ah, that would make sense indeed!

Unfortunately in this case it hasn't helped. :( The only thing I had to do differently to what you suggested was that I had to start the app first before clearing the data. Reason being that the Clear data button was disabled until I started the app (maybe expected as Total and Application were at 5.21MB and Data was at 0MB)

I also tried moving it to the SD card instead but no difference.

...maybe it is the installer... but I very much doubt it is...

Either way slug, thank you very much for your time and suggestion! If anything, I'll have learned the above for another time :)

P.S: Even after moving the app to the SD card, I still can't see anything relating to it there :S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones