How can I set a full picture as my wallpaper?

1. MrJoey

MrJoey New Member

I want to set a picture of my girlfriend as my wallpaper, but when I tried I had to crop the photo, but it wouldn't let me crop the whole thing. So how can I set the whole image?

Advertisement
  2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Help us, help you by telling us the device your using? Your profile says Kyocera Echo, but not sure if that is the device your using for this process.

IIRC, when you chose Set As, that process should allow you to crop/select and area to be used as wallpaper.
  3. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

Your screen resolution is different from the resolution of the picture. It won't let you select the whole thing because if it did, the picture would look stretched.
  4. chevanlol360

chevanlol360 Well-Known Member

i really hate how it does that
  5. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem. It makes sure that your wallpapers don't turn out stretched. Maybe they can add an option to turn it off, but I don't see why you would want to.
  6. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

If you install Flickie Wallpapers HD, it doesn't crop the photo at all. Simply hold down the photo in your phone's gallery, and click the lowest "SET AS" option and it will set it for you.
  7. It will cut some edge off, and use as wallpaper, that's for android
  8. adaaaam

adaaaam Well-Known Member

It ensures no stretching for wallpaper scrolling, which requires s wide resolution. But when scrolling is disabled, a portrait resolution is suffice, yet android 2.x still requires cropping to landscape resolution. So a solution is for the op is to disable scrolling, use photoshop and widen your gfs portraits canvas by 2x with black background and image centered, and use that instead as the wallpaper. Her whole picture will fit perfectly.. Android will cut off the black sides. I know its a lot of work but you love her
  9. mikeytwoshoes

mikeytwoshoes New Member

so when i first got my rezound i could set this complete image of my girlfriend as my wallpaper, now its only letting me choose half. If they only allow you to crop a certain amount of the photo, its going to stretch it out way more than if you were able to just choose the whole picture. This happened after i downloaded an app and now its completely messed up... well not really, it just upsets me i cant have a clear picture as my backround anymore...ugh
  10. mikeytwoshoes

mikeytwoshoes New Member

so its doing the same thing to me...and what people are telling you doesnt make sense...their minds go straight to resolution, well the resolution would be better if you could choose the whole picture and it wouldnt be stretch as much if you could either... it let me before and i downloaded an app and now it wont let me, how do I fix this?
  11. adaaaam

adaaaam Well-Known Member

For optimal clarity wallpapers, the image's height should be the height of your screen and width 2X that of the width. Examples:

480 x 800 screens use 960 x 800 images
    540 x 960 qHD screens use 1080 x 960 images
    720 x 1280 HD screens use 1440 x 1280 images

Any resolution smaller will result in stretched bluriness. Any resolution higher will not result in clearer images. When scrolling is disabled, 25% of the left border and 25% of the right borders are trimmed off. If you select a picture that is not a ratio of the above resolutions, it will first trim the top and bottom borders of the image first (if too tall), and then continue to trim the sides, resulting in super bluriness and loss of image data.

So the best way to prepare an image for your phone's wallpaper with scrolling disabled is to create a new Photoshop document whose canvas size is one of the above listed resolutions, paste the image onto the canvas, and stretch or shrink the layer until the top and bottom edges touch the edges of the canvas, and save the image. When Android selects it as a wallpaper, it will trim blank canvas area and your portrait will fit beautifully, with no bluriness.