• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I stop update nagging popup.

Isn't it possible to switch off automatic updates under Settings > About device > Software update in ICS?
I noticed that option in Jelly Bean after they forced the upgrade on me, but now that I'm back on ICS they first want me to accept a disclaimer before seeing that option. (And if I accept, the automatic starts immediately.) I'm trying to remember if the option was there originally.

Reactions: buttonstc
Upvote 0
Isn't it possible to switch off automatic updates under Settings > About device > Software update in ICS?
I noticed that option in Jelly Bean after they forced the upgrade on me, but now that I'm back on ICS they first want me to accept a disclaimer before seeing that option. (And if I accept, the automatic starts immediately.) I'm trying to remember if the option was there originally.

It wasn't there in 4.0. I would have used it.

I updated mine last week to 4.1, even after reading all of the negative comments about it. I figured if I didn't like it, I'd install Cyanogenmod at some point in the future anyway, after Samsung stops releasing updates.

It's growing on me.

Reactions: buttonstc
Upvote 0

I didn't see it when I checked the other day.

Upvote 0
You need to clear the cache.
1. Turn off the device.
2. Hold the Volume Up and PowerKeys together.
3. Press the Volume Down key to scroll to delete all cache data.
4. Press the Power key to select.
5. Wait for a few seconds ad the device clears information.
6. Press the Power keyto select reboot system now.
7. Wait as the device restarts.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I've never owned a tablet and I was thinking that the battery was removable. My information was based on having a removable battery. You can still read it below.

Maybe this will help you. I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. It runs great on Gingerbread but I was constantly getting notifications that the ICS update was ready to be installed. My options were to install it, cancel it for now, or more info. If I cancelled it, the same notification would come back soon. I DID NOT want to install ICS because of the horror stories I've read, and I was afraid that I might accidentally hit the install button some day. I just wanted the notifications to stop.

This is what I did and it worked. The next time I received the ICS update notification, I tapped "more information" then I pulled out the battery, waited 5 minutes, put the battery back in and powered up the phone. I have not seen the notification since then and it's been at least three months now. This might not work for your tablet but it won't hurt to give it a try.

Upvote 0
This is going to shock you, it has shocked and angered me beyond belief.
I had an 'upgrade' that somehow got by me (I had turned off automatic upgrades) to what I suspected was Jellybean (I've been happily on ICS 4.0.4) but it did not say, only that my phone would not work at all if I proceeded. I was given a max of three hours and it would come up again no matter what.

I bought my S2 outright, so I went straight to Samsung and asked them, what I could do about it. They said "It's already started and the issue is with your provider, not us, but if you can't sort it over the weekend, call us back."[sic] They gave me a reference.

When I got back to them today, I was eventually passed to Nadine in UK technical support (hey, sue me, I'd enjoy the publicity with this). I explained to her and to everyone else in the chain that I didn't want the Jellybean upgrade. She took the details (Baseband Version and Android Version) from the "About Phone" details, went away and came back.

Here's the shocking bit, she said; "It's only a minor set of upgrades to some applications, there is no Jellybean upgrade for your device yet - you can go ahead and upgrade and you will still be on ICS." I asked her if she was sure and she said "Yes."

You can guess what happened.. After 30 minutes or so of seeing a large green Android logo with a spinning stomach, my phone rebooted into... Android Version 4.1.2!!!

She lied to me and I spent the next three hours going through my phone and rearranging what I could. Most apps were OK, and AFAIK the data. I still don't know if the power drain issue will affect me yet.

HOWEVER, I then got another automatic update after agreeing to the conditions, which I read very carefully and nowhere did it mention that they could upgrade my phone without my permission. Please, somebody drag these guys in front of a judge!

I tried stopping the update app and deleting all its data and it seems to have gone away this time, just make sure you never click on "Software update" under "About Phone" or it will say it all again. So far, stopping this and clearing all its data seems to have shut the damn thing up, but I'm livid - this is my property, how dare they!?

This is the last Samsung product I will ever buy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones