1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

how can i tell if an app is using data in the background

Last Updated:

1. justiceglass

justiceglass New Member This Topic's Starter

i just bought a sony ericsson xperia x10 with android os 1.6 on it. my question is this. i've been monitoring my data usage like a hawk and am noticing some unexplainable usage. I have wifi at my house and always make sure my phone is connected when using any online service. now yesterday, i went to sleep and my data usage for this billing cycle was at 36.6mb. when i woke up this morning, the wifi was turned off and my data usage was at 37.1. i've only downloaded a couple of apps and the only two apps that i have not deleted from those are ringdroid and the weather channel app.

how can i tell what is using the data?
    If my phone automatically disconnects from wifi im assuming that i will get charged for any background data usage.

just trying to keep up on my usage so that i dont get overcharged.....

thanks for all responses and all your help

josh

Advertisement
  2. voodooochild

voodooochild Well-Known Member

yes if wifi disconnects then the phone automatically reverts back to 3G or what not. As for whats using data in the background, things like email/facebook etc will run and exchange information in the background.

If you want to be able to disable any data usage when you are not using it, download a widget from the marketplace called, VPN (i think) which is basically an on/off switch that sits on your homescreen to turn data usage on and off.

3. Chilly McFreeze

Chilly McFreeze Well-Known Member

I think voodooochild is refering to APNdroid, but there are numerous widgets that allow you to turn data off - Curvefish do one for example. I use Extended Controls to control data usage (and many other things). If data is turned off even if you lose your WiFi signal you can't run up a bill. I also recommend TrafficStats so you can see what apps are using the most data.

4. voodooochild

voodooochild Well-Known Member

Yes thanks mcfreeze APN was what I meant! However extended controls isn't free is it?