How can I transfer a DVD movie to my Captivate?Support

Last Updated:

1. bill2reg

bill2reg Member This Topic's Starter

I have some movies that I own on DVD. Is there a way to get them into the phone so that I can watch them when travelling etc.?

Advertisement
  2. La Luna

La Luna Well-Known Member

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

4. bill2reg

I didn't see an answer to my question in the FAQ's. My question was not how to transfer files to my phone, but maybe should have been worded differently. First of all these are legally purchased DVD's that I own. I was trying to find out if there is some means, if necessary, to somehow convert and/or compress the movie file that I OWN into a suitable format for the Captivate to play. True that it may also mean that I will need a way to copy the movie from the DVD onto my computer (most likely) and then convert, etc. and finally move to the phone SD card. So I'm sorry if I wasn't specific. Thanks in advance for any help.

5. La Luna

La Luna Well-Known Member

I don't understand....the FAQ IS talking about a DVD you own. It tells you exactly how to do what you want, rip your DVD/convert the file....at the bottom there's even a link explaining how to get the ripped/converted movie file onto the phone if you need further help with that.

The DVD must be ripped/converted before you can put it on your phone, you can just somehow transfer it to the phone without doing that.

6. bill2reg

But that FAQ also states that the software used in step 2 can't handle copy protected discs, and aren't the ones I own outright still copy protected? I read the FAQ as you suggested but unless I'm missing something, it won't work with a commercial DVD that I own.

7. sremick

Which is why Step 1 exists. Any particular reason you're skipping step 1?

8. bill2reg

OK I downloaded and installed both software titles mentioned in the FAQ successfully. I ripped the file(s) from the DVD no problem as per step 1. I then used Handbrake as per step 2 to convert and compress, carefully following the instructions to the letter. It converted without a problem and produced an mpeg4 file, so everything went exactly as described in the FAQ instructions.............perfect. I transferred the file to the Captivate and then I tried to play it. That's where it went wrong. All I got was an error message "Unsupported file type". My phone has Android 2.1 Eclair, and it's the latest update. I can play WMV files, but there is no option in Handbrake to produce those. So is the phone supposed to be able to play mp4 files? It was disappointing because it took several hours to get it all done. If anyone has an idea what happened please let me know. Thanks.

9. sremick

Yes, it can play MP4 files. Did you make sure the resulting file ended with .MP4 and not .MKV? If it's MKV, all you need to do is change the extension.

WMV is a non-standard proprietary and quirky video format by Microsoft. You don't want to waste your time dealing with that and its assorted headaches.

Lots of people have used those steps with success so not sure from your info right now what you're doing different/wrong. I think something must be going on different that's not made apparent by your recount/description.